Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 23-01-2005 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
I really like the model and the texturing, plus the cracks. It almost looks like it is made of some sort of bone which was fossilized. user added image

Although I think you should either add a smoother metallic look to the feet under the rust, or give them a black underlay like the rest of the machine.

Hey, here's an idea: if you use the rust texturing in the end, why don't you make the animation 'rusty'?

# 47 24-01-2005 , 03:10 AM
looking good buddy!

Solomon
Soreel GraFX
https://www.sowl.com
# 48 24-01-2005 , 07:01 AM
reading through this thread, at first i was thinking the model was actually looking a bit crappy but boy did it really progress. the new improved model looks greatuser added image

not totally sure about the rust though. I think before you start laying on the rust, texture etc, you gotta start thinking more about what scale is this robot, what is this robot like, how heavy? etc etc. Like is it a sleek futuristic thing like the model suggests or a relic like its texture suggests. Also whether its an old dumpy robot or a new one would effect how it animates like really zippy or like a ton of bricks. just a thought.

# 49 16-02-2005 , 04:29 PM
Well it's been a while add I am going to try to get back on this very soon, I just need to get the modivation going again. I found this old model I did about 3-4 years ago in a program called Strata 3D. I am thinking about rebuilding it in Maya (making it look way cooler though of course) and having the Bot fight with it. Maybe even the bot fighting a pack of spiders, not sure yet though just trying to come up with a cool animation for my reel, what do you'll think? Also I think that I have desided what I want to show off most in my reel....Special FX..... i.e partical systems, dynamics, explosions, etc., etc. it seems now days you have to have a specialty rather then just being good at a little of everything and I LOVE to blow things up so I think that I will concentrate more on that side of 3D. Having a fight between these two would definitely involve a ton of that and if I can get it right would make great reel material imo. Thoughts?

user added image

D.

# 50 16-02-2005 , 09:11 PM
killer bot man.

I like the particle effects and ia gree with the knee joint, with the agility you seem to be going for it would add a lot. but two things, I think the "Toes" of the feet should buckle and take the impact of the step when it moves(this would help convey its weight a little better. As someone said, looks like you could blow it over). And when it pivots on foot turns, like slides while turning. It should step to the side, shift weight, pick up its foot and place it accordingly. Thats all..

Oh i like the rusted one...

# 51 18-02-2005 , 05:14 AM
i like it, i like it alot.

George Bernard Shaw:
You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
# 52 18-02-2005 , 05:37 AM
I love it! Great job.user added image

# 53 18-02-2005 , 08:24 PM
looks sweet man ;D

but would a military test robot straight off the production line be rusted as all hell? user added image

maybe you could have a battle ground set out, where there are broken ones lying on the ground all shot up and rusted user added image Could be pretty leet

# 54 20-02-2005 , 05:45 PM
WOW!! I love it! I really like the design of it, looks good!!!

Love that spider too!

# 55 24-02-2005 , 03:25 PM
Waw! It's nice. I wish i could do models like that..

# 56 24-02-2005 , 03:53 PM
Thanks a lot guys!!!!!

I am really having trouble getting back into working on this, playing Call of Duty and mapping with the Far Cry editer have been taking up most of my time lol.

Anyway I hope to have some more updates soon!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
D.

BTW-ZykotiK, that sounds like a good idea user added image