Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-10-2010 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber

Maxwell Jewelry Renderer

This is a render of a piece of jewelry that i made for Shapeway.com last week. I rendered it using Maxwell Render. Here is a link also for Shapeway. This is an awesome website. You can 3D laser print any 3D model you make. You should check that out.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/makestuff

Attached Thumbnails

CDV
# 2 23-10-2010 , 10:07 PM
The thin red line
Sorry if I am putting a downer on you but the render looks very flat, there are no reflection and no sence of depth. Have a look on this site for a free tutorial on final gather and look into reflection..........dave

# 3 25-10-2010 , 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Maxwell doesn't use Final Gather Dave :blush: but you're right. Slatamilian, it seems as if you're using the Maxwell sky setup which makes the pendant look strange given that it's sitting on a dark burgundy backdrop that doesn't seem to have any influence on it whatsoever.

Usually jewelry is photographed inside a lighting box, which is pretty much a translucent box/tent with a white interior (for generic environment and reflections). It that scatters incoming light to create a soft diffused lighting effect.

I googled and found a pretty nice clear image of the setup.
Ref site is telovation.com

Had to do a repost :x

Attached Images

- Genny
# 4 25-10-2010 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber

Thank you

I like the set up pictured. I'm going to try and set up a virtual simulation of that and see if i get a better render. Thanks for the input!

CDV
# 5 25-10-2010 , 10:20 PM
The thin red line
Genny your bad, you know I did not mean that. But I like bad girls? . .........dave