Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-04-2003 , 12:23 AM

Katana

This was only meant to be a katana shot, modeled on my own katana from above the bed user added image
I went to pain staking detail on the lace by actually making a 3d lace and literally wrapping it in the same fashion as on the real thing and then textured it, but you can't actually see that when the whole sword is in view, and besides the sword alone didn't make a very good picture, so i've tried to knock up a desktop out of it, i would like to add shafts of light to it, but can't figure out how to do it very convincingly, but this is where it's at so far.

Mayas renderer btw

ps. the pic above is one i drew years ago and resides on my wall, i photographed it and sketched it in psp, originally based on the lager of lamot logo

Last edited by Aphex; 08-04-2003 at 12:26 AM.
# 2 08-04-2003 , 02:02 AM
Is that a normal shadow or is it a shadow map?

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 3 08-04-2003 , 12:59 PM

# 4 09-04-2003 , 12:38 PM
The Katana seems to be bending on the left of the image where it meats the stand, and the wakisashi seems to ben din on the opposite side. im not sure if its from the lighting or not. I suggest you add a little color to the image in th eback to make it look something like a japanese silk painting, should bbe able to do it in a few minutes in psp, just use high opacity, low hardness and thick brush strokes, possibly angles brushes too.

# 5 09-04-2003 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
euuh ....maybe need some tutoring with efx...user added image

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 6 09-04-2003 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
hmm.. looks goods, but try to make the object 'sit' in the background.. looks like its floating

# 7 09-04-2003 , 04:32 PM
I like the Blue dragon Theme though. I have a black dragon and a soon to be red dragon set to get to me soon. I will model my Black tang when it comes too. Make a whole sword case for themuser added image

but i like your background a lot.

# 8 09-04-2003 , 07:21 PM
Twisted-- hmm, i like the sound of the silk painting idea, i'll go and check sum out 'cos i'm not too sure what they looklike, i wasn't really happy with the background for the dragon either, i just rushed one up to get the idea down, as for the bend in the sword, i think you could be right, after looking at it more closely it seems to be a little less 'bent' than the katana above but the katanas bend was totally mirrored so it must be equal.

Tariqrf-- your not wrong, it does look 'floaty', must be 'cos of all the black, i might have to rethink either the plinth, the floor or the lighting or maybe all three to correct that.

Anita-- maybe??? i could never have too much tutoring i guess, hey! maybe you could teach me sometime, i'd love some shafts of light in there user added image

Last edited by Aphex; 09-04-2003 at 08:08 PM.
# 9 09-04-2003 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
it would help to put a point light somewhere in ur scene with no decay!
its too even u need somewhere where the color is brightest.

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 10 10-04-2003 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
i would suggest adding 4-5 point lights with low intensity on the ground... or on the corners (where the wall and the ground meets)..

# 11 10-04-2003 , 01:00 PM
ahaa point lights, i've tried to achieve what your saying but with ambient lights (1 either side and 1 in front of plinth) but they kinda washed the scene of color a little too much so i knocked their intensity down to 0.01 each! which made it a little pointless having 'em, they just kinda tweeked the gamma up a little, so i'll drop 'em completely now and try some point lighting, cheers peeps

# 12 10-04-2003 , 04:17 PM
using point lights is a veryy good idea to achieve the good results... i have seen a few scenes in which the artists have used more than 50 lights but with very low intensity .... and in the end it gives a veryy nice feel...
try using Decay as well.... but with decay u will need to increase the intensity...play around with Decay and Intensity and u will get good results....