Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-09-2008 , 05:11 PM

turning off auto snap to grid . please help

I was editing points and I accidentally pressed alt+something and turned auto snap to grid on but the snapper isn't activated up in the maya panel.

Any idea how to turn this off ? it's killing me !
Thanks in advance,
Vick.

# 2 01-09-2008 , 05:29 PM
The Nurb Herd
alt + x is snap to grid... user added image

c - curve
v- point

# 3 01-09-2008 , 06:03 PM
yes I know about snapping but pressing alt+some click held longer, I selected something from those lists, and verts just snap whenever I try to move them, even if I enable/disable snapping , it still won't work, they just keep snapping and snapping and snapping ...

any ideas ?
vick.

# 4 01-09-2008 , 09:41 PM
Hi,

I don't have maya open but at the top of the screen there will be 3 small square icons; snap to grid, point and curve. All you've done is accidentally activated one. Just click on it again and it will turn it off (to find it look for an icon with a magnet on it, it's either that one or it's next to it).

cheers

gubar

# 5 01-09-2008 , 10:24 PM
I knew that ... snapping wasn't enabled ...

Some option in the move tool named discrete moving was enabled and it acted as if snapping was on ...

sorry for all the fuss !!

best wishes and thanks again for trying to help !
vick

# 6 02-09-2008 , 04:07 AM
Double click your move tool to open up the move tool attributes, then look at the discreet move to see if it's checked or not. If the move tool attributes are open and you press the letter J or maybe Shift J, then it can turn it on.

see picture to see what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 02-09-2008 , 04:10 AM
I just tried it out. If you press shift first and then J...but really fast, it can turn on the discreet move tool, which acts like snapping. It can do it with the move tool and the scale too. so you might want to check both. Hope this helps.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 02-09-2008 , 04:12 AM
oops...sorry, for some reason, gubers post and your last post DjSneeze didn't show up until after I posted...hmmm. Anyway I'm glad you figured it out.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 02-09-2008 , 07:44 AM
no problem, I still learned the shortcut so all your work is not in vain !

Thanks everyone again !
Vick.

# 10 19-09-2014 , 09:52 PM
Thanks Perfecto! Very helpful! user added image

# 11 29-06-2015 , 09:05 PM

Double click your move tool to open up the move tool attributes, then look at the discreet move to see if it's checked or not. If the move tool attributes are open and you press the letter J or maybe Shift J, then it can turn it on.

see picture to see what I mean.

I am so sorry to reply to this old thread but..

I found another way to turn off the annoying auto snapping tool.. So yeah look at this image below:
user added image

Well when I done my work half way through, the auto snapping tool begins to on for no reason.. and it gave me headache after the tool starts to on again and again in my later works. So yeah I disabled it by simply pressing the "Snap to Grid' icon. After turning it off, have fun continuing your work. user added image

Last edited by vinniejip; 29-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.
# 12 13-10-2015 , 02:55 PM
thnks this worked out for me

# 13 23-03-2018 , 07:23 AM
double click on move tool reset it.