Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-10-2008 , 05:13 AM

50 yr old man head model

Hello, it's been quite a while since I last posted anything here. I'm currently working as a runner at Cinesite, a VFX house in London. I'm currently training to move into matchmoving, and have been working on some tracking for my new showreel. I decided to take a week off and start modelling something that i've never really done before, a realistic human head. Thankfully I had some great reference material from www.3d.sk.

user added image

Here are some screengrabs. I am using Maya 2008 and the screencaps show the model after the subdivision preview has been generated, I am modelling in Polys.

user added image
user added image
user added image

An instance has been created just to help the modelling process, after the base mesh has been created I am planning on tweaking the model to make it asymmetrical. I also plan on taking the model into a sculpting package as I have never attempted to use one before.

# 2 07-10-2008 , 08:02 AM
Looks a nice celan start.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-10-2008 , 03:06 AM
an update for today, these are quick renders as i'm unable to get screencaps easily onto my webspace from work, and my machine at home is currently out of order due to some nasty spyware user added image

been working on the nose a lot more adding some definitions to the nostrils.

Anyway, crits are always welcome

user added image user added image user added image

# 4 08-10-2008 , 05:54 AM
Nice start... not much to comment since you haven't done much yet but the area beneath the nose isn't anatomically right... I think you haven't started that though, did you?
Keep it up,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 5 08-10-2008 , 01:28 PM
hey rostoons - good to see you back on simply maya - looks like a good start.

lets see your side ref - i've a feeling the nose and upper lip need to be pulled forward a touch.

# 6 09-10-2008 , 02:15 AM
cheers for the replies guys,

todays update follows

user added image
user added image
user added image

added some geometry for the mouth and chin, still need to tweak the details of the mouth a bit more, looking a bit flat at the moment. I also need to extrude the mouth into the head as well.

# 7 09-10-2008 , 02:28 AM
Hi looks very good so far and very clean, keep up!user added image

# 8 09-10-2008 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber

WoW

Man looking very nice, you doing this using patches?

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 9 10-10-2008 , 12:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words,

The method I use to model is all polygonal extrusion and tweaking. Essentially the geometry started as a single poly plane which I placed on the eyelid and extruded to get the shape of the eye. From then on I extruded the polys until they wrapped nicely around the sphere in place as the eyeball.

For the rest of the geometry I extruded the eye geometry outwards using the border edge and extrude tools, and positioned them trying to maintain a clean topology and only modelling in quads. The rest basically consists of tweaking vertices and using the append to poly tool to fill gaps.

todays update:

# 10 10-10-2008 , 03:55 AM
Absolutely nice work user added image hope more nice show.

# 11 10-10-2008 , 04:14 AM
Looking nice.

Have you got a 3/4 view of the guy? Just that his jaw/cheek areas look a bit flat, so to speak, just wondering if the modeling from the front/side may have distorted it a tad?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 10-10-2008 , 05:06 AM
also the chin seems a bit shallow - but yeah, this is looking really good. user added image

# 13 14-10-2008 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber
would be nice if you made a occlusion render, to see some basic shadows. this way you see things a bit different from a hard edge surface.

Also smooth it out.

Atm it looks very nice, but cant comment much yet.

Keep it up (Y)

# 14 14-10-2008 , 06:22 AM
nice and clean

# 15 18-10-2008 , 08:32 PM
just a minor update, i've modelled the bulk of the head, trying to keep it as clean as I can. I've also modelled the inside of the mouth, next step is the ear...fun

Would've liked to have done an occlusion render but it's getting late, early start tomorrow and all that.