Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-08-2013 , 05:04 PM

Simple way to get a human 3d model into maya

and easy to resize. I need to be able to change the pose as well. I'm using this for my comic book to see how the shadows fall. any help apriciated.

# 2 08-08-2013 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
you are looking for a fully modeled and rigged character so the simple way to do it is import the mesh into maya, or model it from scratch. rig it. then pose it.

# 3 08-08-2013 , 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
You should look into Daz Studio(which is free I think) if that's all you need it to do.

Even if you do find a quality model that is rigged, the bare fact that the question is posed says this might be a bit of a complicated approach for just seeing how shadows fall on the human form.

- Genny
# 4 08-08-2013 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
the quickest way would be to take a picture

# 5 08-08-2013 , 10:54 PM

You should look into Daz Studio(which is free I think) if that's all you need it to do.

Even if you do find a quality model that is rigged, the bare fact that the question is posed says this might be a bit of a complicated approach for just seeing how shadows fall on the human form.

Hi, i also want to use the program to build a little city and to see how the light will look in a room etc, right now though i have two characters standing in a corridor.

# 6 09-08-2013 , 12:17 AM
I managed to find the human model, but now i have Another problem and was wondering if anyone could solve it:

user added image

I don't Think the light looks realistic in that image since there is an abrupt cutoff of light where the floor goes into the wall. How can i get it continuos?

# 7 09-08-2013 , 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
To solve that issue, the short answer is to learn lighting in Maya or whip out your camera.

Long answer:

What is seen in that render is direct illumination only, no bounce light at all and this is normal default behavior. The Maya Software render engine doesn't have the features to simulate these natural occurrences(unless you meticulously place and configure a lot of lights) but mental ray does(Final Gather, Global Illumination, Ambient Occlusion etc).

Then there are other things to consider for realism, like physically accurate surface materials and camera exposure controls. At least these are available when using mental ray.

Learning how to realistically light in mental ray for Maya has it's frustrations, in some areas it's not very user friendly and if you have no experience with any of this then it can be quite the undertaking. There are other renderers for Maya out there, some arguably more user friendly but I can't think of a free one(3Delight?). Whipping out a camera and snapping some pictures is really sounding like the better suggestion here lol.

- Genny