Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-11-2002 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber

Perhaps a rank system?

I think it would be fun to have a user "rank" or something that tells how long someone has been here at the site. For instance, GameFaqs.com has levels for its users like "New User" "Veteran" and "Legend." All together they have about 25 different levels. I am already a senior at Simply Maya. It seems so fast. I have only been here a month. I feel as though there is no room left for improvement in that particular section. If you created a rank system, you would have to base it on whether or not a person logged into the site and whether or not they had posted recently. DO NOT base it the number of posts because people will just start posting all kinds of crap just to get their post count up. GameFaqs has "karma." You get karma by logging in. You must have at least one active message posted on the boards to get a karma and you can only get one karma every day. This incourages people to sign in more often and perhaps will increase the number of active users. You would have to base it on logging in every day, rather than the amount of time someone has been a member of this site. Otherwise, a user could simply sign in only every month. You should reward the people who are active is what I'm saying. Anyway, just a thought.

# 2 25-11-2002 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
nay, not a good idea imho. i dont want to read useless posts so the ppl only get karma. and the uses that never post i dont want to see.

# 3 25-11-2002 , 12:05 PM
Personally, i think people get to caught up in ratings etc on the internet. Sure it's nice to be recognised and what not, but i think you should gain credit by helping people out, posting your work etc. People could be active on the board and still spout a whole lot of shite.

I think the best way to encourage people to participate more (in this kind of forum) is steer away from elitist attitudes that so many other 3d/graphics boards seem to have.

# 4 25-11-2002 , 12:12 PM
Hmm, weird idea but atm quite difficult to implement so I´d guess the best way to gain some recognition around the board is helping everybody out, go for the competitions and such.

However IMHO I´d prefer you guys get your hands dirty on Maya instead of trying to look for karma? ... If you spend some time in Maya, and then come back here answering more questions you´ll surely get the recognition you deserve.

My 2 cents ...

# 5 25-11-2002 , 12:35 PM
adl: I totally agree. Personally I avoid (usually user added image) posting anything if I don't have anything to say user added image

It's about quality, not quantity... user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 25-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Kevin
I like the idea, but I guess not many other do..

we shall "go with the flow" but thx all the same for your input darkware

# 7 25-11-2002 , 02:58 PM
Maybe, if anything, have judges base ratings on productivity.

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking