Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-12-2007 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber

help please

Hi all nice looking site,
I am looking to model characters, now i dont work in Maya, i work in Cinema 4D, but there isnt that many in fact none (that i know of) tutorials for character modelling.
I saw the ninja character modelling tut which you can download. But i would like some advice first, is it box modelling in maya or point to point modelling.

I know i can do a work around from MAX tutorials but i dont know about maya

Any advice would be great

Simon

# 2 25-12-2007 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
hey knight,

welcome so SM, i really dont know how to respond to your post mate. First of all, like you said this is a Maya forum so trying to find Cinema tuts here, not the ideal place.

However, there are so many helpful people on this site, and most use or have used at some point all programs. So i personally can't help you im afraid, but others will be able to.

Good luck

user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 25-12-2007 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Yeah , im not looking for Cinema tuts as there isn't any on character modelling. I have followed a tutorial in 3ds MAX for the Firefly (serenity) and i have never encountered a problem in the modelling because there is always a work around solution.

I really want to model characters and this site is the only one i have really seen with character downloads. so would the download videos of the character modelling be of box modelling similar to the free character model tutorial in the download section.

Hope this makes sense

what is the ninja character modelling like, is it good not so good

Simon

# 4 26-12-2007 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
cant help you there man, im not a modeller im afraid, are you using Maya or just want tutorials jut for reference.

I dont know how any other program works so i cant say do it like this or like that. But im guessing the techniques are all the same.

Eventually some1 will post, and answer your prayers.

try this site

www.learning-maya.com

has bundles of tutorials on all subjects, that maybe about to shed some light.

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 5 26-12-2007 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber
Hey there
I just started learning 3D Studio max and ive found that all techniques are pretty similar. If you know Cinema 4d pretty well you should have no problem using one of the character movies on this site for reference.

Im afraid i haven't done any of the high poly characters so i cant guide you there. the low poly ones are good. All the tutorials ive used (about 5) have all been the same top quality.

Hope this helps

al

# 6 26-12-2007 , 04:19 AM
In addition to the tutorials provided on this site, they have a game character modeling tutorial in "The Area", Autodesk's Community Website. (not sure if thats what your looking for or want something more lifelike)

https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/t...g_hand_part_1/

# 7 26-12-2007 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Thansk guys for the replies, Al_mullin all the software is pretty similar just with different tools doing the same thing.

Kratch thanks for the link

Cheers guys i let you know how it goes with the ninja dvd

Simon

# 8 26-12-2007 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
I bought the Ninja tutorial a long time ago. Though i always go back to it since its a real helpful when it comes to modeling 3d characters.

Its a thumbs up from me...