Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 06-10-2005 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
I played around with compositing last night, but I found that "Use background shader" works well when rendering with maya software, but if I try it with MR the shadows just dont show up. Any advice?

# 32 10-10-2005 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Minstrel
And another angle...

the HDRI setup deffo makes it look alot nicer than the standard render you did, this going to be used in an animation in a later project? really nice and clean model.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 33 10-10-2005 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
thank you for the comments Cung. You are absolutely right about the rendering. Mental Ray, and HDRI particularly, really do a good job in bringing out the best of a model. Any new Maya users should really make a point in learning the basics of it, 'cause the results are amazing.

My original intent was to do an animation with both this model and the spitfire tutorial model...something about a futuristic airplane going back in time and shooting down the spitfire. I am just not spending enough time with maya right now, so my focus (or little focus) is to finish the Eurofighter model. Too much World of Warcraft...

Cheers!

# 34 11-10-2005 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Minstrel
thank you for the comments Cung. You are absolutely right about the rendering. Mental Ray, and HDRI particularly, really do a good job in bringing out the best of a model. Any new Maya users should really make a point in learning the basics of it, 'cause the results are amazing.

My original intent was to do an animation with both this model and the spitfire tutorial model...something about a futuristic airplane going back in time and shooting down the spitfire. I am just not spending enough time with maya right now, so my focus (or little focus) is to finish the Eurofighter model. Too much World of Warcraft...

Cheers!

completely agree with you, so simple to do a HDRI setup as well user added image (so long as you have the resources avaliable lol)

the animation sounds good and look forward to seeing it sometime in the future :p the spitfire tutorial is good.. not had an attempt myself but managed to watch the whole thing though.

games are great distractions! i had to force myself away from world of warcraft!! stayed away for a few hours and then my house mate introduced me to Guild Wars!! arghh.

anyways great job on the model and the render. user added image

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 35 22-11-2005 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
Well, I am going to try to do some more work on this. Worked on the texture for a bit. Also, added just a bit of reflection, and played with specularity.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 22-11-2005 , 08:29 PM
looking mint!

Whats the edgeds in the middle of the cockpit?

Bet ya got your eyes on em thought!

# 37 29-11-2005 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Started playing with bump maps...

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 06-12-2005 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
This is it...Final shots

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 08-12-2005 , 05:41 AM
i am SO inspired

# 40 10-12-2005 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
This is my favorite one so far...I may come back to this project.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 10-12-2005 , 09:24 AM
you are puting some realy nice detail in there, keep going and it will be weary nice model when you finish it!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 42 07-03-2006 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
Here is an update. I Never felt like I totally finished this and taking a break on this project I think helped.

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 07-03-2006 , 06:52 AM
Want me to design a landscape for you?

You would have to send me your plane as an OBJ file

(just export from maya)

# 44 07-03-2006 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
Damn concord, thx for the offer, I have seen your work and I would be delighted to share it with you. I'll try to extract it tonight, never done that, and send it to you. I'll check your user profile and see if you have an email address in there. Im using Maya 5.0 by the way.

# 45 07-03-2006 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
Is the email address in the website you referenced in your signature: rfrier@... yours?

Last edited by Minstrel; 07-03-2006 at 04:29 PM.