Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-01-2006 , 09:00 PM

Jan/Feb - Norm - Cris007

Ok, i love the idea. I know i'm not really good, but i thought on really challenging myself so i'm going in the normal category this time. I figure its the best way to learn. Right now i'm thinking that i'll try and model a lion. It's probably going to be really, really hard considering i've never really done any organic modeling before, but i have two months to learn user added image

# 2 05-01-2006 , 02:13 PM
First, here's a picture. I don't know if this is going to be the exact look i'll go for, but it's a good reference.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-01-2006 , 02:18 PM
And here's a reference image i'll be using for modeling. I drew the main guide lines in blue (hope i got them right). I've been learning nurbs quite intensively for the last few weeks so i think i'll try and model it with nurbs. But taking into consideration the great difference between theory and practice i'll probably stumble across a lot of problems on the way, but hopefuly i'll manage to overcome them.

I only found a side view of the lion muscular system and I could have really used the front view as well. If any of you know where i could find one i would really appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-01-2006 , 03:34 PM
Ok... took a little time off from the learning that i was supposedly doing for the coming exams at uni and quickly sketched the profile curves. I simpliefied them a lot from the structure i posted earlier (and hopefuly made them somewhat more accurate... what can i say, i'm learning... user added image). Will start adding some shapes in-between real soon. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-01-2006 , 04:11 PM
Blocked in some shapes and i'm relatively happy with the result. I know it's not too smooth (a side effect of working with only the side image as reference... user added image ) but i'll fix that soon after i start attaching patches. Still, so far, it kind of resembles a lion... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 08-01-2006 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
nice start man, keep at it, then maybe it will look better than aslan from chronicles of narnia(if u watched the movie, ull know what im talkin about lol)

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 7 08-01-2006 , 04:21 PM
Grr... your patches worked... I made mine in 2d, with all of the patches made even... etc. and when I brought them to 3d... I lost it all!!!!

im mad at you. :p

nice start

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 8 08-01-2006 , 04:40 PM
Thanks guys, but now i'm having another problem... who didn't see that coming, right? :lmao:. I seem to have made it's nose/ mouth a little narrow and i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to fix it without wrecking everything up. Anyway, i'll see. Right now i'm just smoothing things up a little. I think i might convert it to polygons eventually to make it seamless.

# 9 08-01-2006 , 05:07 PM
Yep, well, I gave up nurbs modeling for my model, and Im going back to sub'd modeling. I'm probably going to do that in 3ds Max tho.

Live the life you love, love the life you live