Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-12-2007 , 10:46 AM

Bsic human form problem

Hey.I am new to this forum and i downloaded the basic human form tutorial and in part when it comes to "combining" (union) the hand an the body...my body and my hand vanish.Does some1 know what is the problem?

Ty in advance,
Zuja

# 2 30-12-2007 , 12:57 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah this is common
booleans are picky things
to get it to work i usually have to try trial and error
sorry i cant help more

# 3 30-12-2007 , 01:24 PM
Lifetime Member
This topic should be made a sticky because I don't know how many times I have answered it .

What is happening exactly when booleans make geometry dissappear?

There are a number of reasons that can cause this.

Check the script editor, it can tell you most times what the problem is and how to fix it.
If the Script Editor is no help:

Things to check to make a successful boolean

1) Both pieces of geometry must be intersecting completly, even one vertex that is not will cause a problem.

2) Always make sure that there is no
nonmanifold geometry around the boolean operation .

3) Both pieces of geometry must be closed meshes. and by closed i mean every vertex merged.

4) Check the normals on the surfaces. all the normals of both pieces of geometry must point outwards or inwards but most importantly the same way.

That is more or less all situations where you can run into a boolean problem.Intersection, non-manifold,closed mesh and normals.

I would avoid Booleans myself as it can make a mess of your edge flow and you almost always have to clean it up afterward.
A better solution IMO is to draw out the cut with the split polygon tool and delete manually and merge the two pieces yourself giving you much more control of the operation.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 30-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.
# 4 30-12-2007 , 08:00 PM
Ok thanks, I'll try something.