Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-04-2007 , 06:08 PM

Rendering displacement maps

I have created a displacement map in mudbox and am applying it to a character in Maya. The problem is it is not showing anywhere near as much detail as it should. I assume this is due to my having problems with the approximation editor. I select the geometry and create a approximation for subdivisions, select spatial with min subdivisions at 0 and max at 5, also I have length at 0. The render then has less details. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-04-2007 , 06:09 PM
using approximation editor.

Cheers,
Leon Labyk

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 09-04-2007 , 06:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 4 12-04-2007 , 11:28 AM
Cheers Jay, I am still having some probs though. I have got the face working good now but am having trouble with the clothes. Are displacement maps as temperamental as it seems or am I probably just missing something. Here are some problems that I don't understand.

I have to scale the model up by 150% after exporting the low res obj from Mudbox into Maya in order for it to work.

Some geometry looks low res and does not show the displacement map properly.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 12-04-2007 , 11:36 AM
Here is how it should look. Note I have only generated maps for one of the jacket shoulder pads as well as the middle part of the jacket.

Cheers,
Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 12-04-2007 , 11:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
leonlabyk

Well, since I studied the video, Ive not had any trouble, with anything at all. But seeing as though you are using mudbox and not Zbrush, maybe there are another set of rules regarding 'dis' maps into maya from mudbox

Cheers
Jay