Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-09-2016 , 05:00 PM

Baking normals from High-poly without seams in LP edges

Hey, so im baking normal maps for a game in school, and I realised something, when i bake from a low-poly box (for example) all the edges except for the cutted edges will have a black seam. I knew this is a problem with baking normals, but i found a way to solve this, i thought. I started writing it down just to remember the process. I knew substance painter had a "reproject texture to diffrent UV-layout"-type of thing. Thats why I thought this would work.

Anyways here's what i wrote:

1. quad lowpoly
2. pick hard edges
3. save quick selection
4. duplicate the mesh

on the duplicated mesh:
1. cut uv's from the quick seleciton set
2. in uv editor, click layout
3. duplicate, choose the quick selection set edges and bevel them
4.1 optional: smooth the beveled mesh
4. duplicate and create cage mesh
5. bake in xnormals

in substance:
1. open scene, import mesh with the UV's you want to use (the unbaked model), import the normal map too
2. reproject from one model to another <---- I THOUGHT

step 2 didnt work, so this is where im stuck. Im looking at one model with perfect normals but horrible UV-layout, and im also looking at a perfect UV-layout but with a horrible normal map (dark along the hard edges)

So. I guess my question is if anyone knows how to transfer a map like this, is it even possible? or is there a way around this, like the one i thought i found, that is more useful or whatever. I kinda just want nice normals.

Thanks!

-
Skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 01-10-2016 , 02:19 PM
When you transfer your UV map, are you making sure 'Component' is selected instead of 'World' for the Sample Space setting in the Transfer Options?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand as I'm an amateur when it comes to UV and Normal maps but if you're trying to transfer a UV map from a high poly model to a low poly model, then I don't think that works. I believe you can transfer a normal map from high to low, but not UVs. For UVs, I think both models have to have the same geometry. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!