Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-10-2007 , 05:13 AM

House

Begin the foundation.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 04-10-2007 , 07:52 AM
I have a feeling this will turn out quite nice. Is this for that job you were talking about?

Louis

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 3 04-10-2007 , 08:07 AM
Acid44
looks good so far man kutgwuser added image

# 4 04-10-2007 , 08:57 AM
Thanks louis56 and acid44,

Yes, this is for a co-worker. Everything will be to scale. I'm modeling it from a few 2D AutoCAD drawings. I plan on doing most all phases of construction so I'm curious just how long it will take me. I'll be doing interior and exterior. It's a two story house with a basement, 2916 square feet total. Texturing will most likely be my biggest challenge.

Well, maybe not because I'm going to attempt to do an animation at the end which shows the house being constructed. I want to do it so that the camera position is moving around as the house is being built. I'm probably biting off more than I can chew but I'm going to give it my best shot anyway.

I'll be spending a lot of time researching "how to build a house". I'm sure I'll learn tons in the process. Any and all crits are welcome.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 04-10-2007 , 09:02 AM
My dad is a builder. Ive seen him build LOADS of houses so you can ask me if you need to user added image

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 6 04-10-2007 , 11:58 AM
Thanks Louis, I'll definitely take you up on that offer as I know I will have some questions along the way. I just spent over a couple of hours doing more research.

1st Question:
There are some beams (see pic) that are LVL Laminated Beams 2-1.75"x12" (1.9E) but the steel posts holding them up are 1-HSS 3"x3"x3/16" for 16,000 lbs load. If the laminated cross beams are 1.75" thick then 2 of them equal a width of 3.5 inches. Well the steel posts holding them up are only 3 inches and this doesn't seem to support the AutoCAD drawing. Am I missing something?

P.S. No rush if you can get me an answer.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 04-10-2007 , 11:59 AM
Here's a piece of the AutoCAD drawing I'm referring to.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 05-10-2007 , 09:36 AM
I figured out the posts v/s joists but now I've got to figure out how to handle foundation height differences. I also had to modify much of the foundation after learning how to understand the CAD drawings better.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 05-10-2007 , 09:39 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 05-10-2007 , 09:40 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 11 05-10-2007 , 02:32 PM
Sorry I didn't see this question. Glad you found your answer though. That question I would have had to of asked my dad :p

# 12 06-10-2007 , 07:22 AM
Learned some more and then had to redo some more stuff.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 06-10-2007 , 07:24 AM
Had to make a load bearing wall and get rid of the support beams. Also had to raise up the laminated beams because they're supposed to be embedded in the floor. So, I'll have to use joist hangers.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 06-10-2007 , 08:16 AM
Are you designing this house too? I thought you were just making a 3D version of some plans.

Joist hangers are going to be fun to model user added image

# 15 06-10-2007 , 02:41 PM
Ha, ha! No, I'm not designing it. I just don't know how to read architectural drawings, lol. I'm learning though. I just keep reading the plans wrong. For every hour of modeling I do, I spend about 3 hours doing research on the internet to either learn how to read the drawings, learn how to build something correctly or to get dimensions of building supplies. It's a lot of work but I'm enjoying every minute of it. I think I spent almost 4 hours on the internet last night.

I found out that a couple of the people I go to church with are home builders. They've offered to help me out which will be EXTREMELY helpful. They said they're going to take me out to some of their job sites and explain things to me. They also said they wanted me to do 3d modeling work for them. After I finish this project, I'm going to apply for a loan to get the Maya Commercial license so that I can start using it commercially.

Also, another co-worker asked me to do a 3d model for her yesterday. She said I could easily get work creating 3d models of remodeled homes and said she would help me. That way homeowners can see what their homes will look like after they remodel it.

All this is happening so fast, it's amazing. God really does answer prayers!

Exceed Expectations!