Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-12-2007 , 04:21 AM

Maya 2008 Conversion

Hello, I apologize if this question has already been asked, so please forgive my "noob-ness".

I am a High School student at the moment, and our class works with Maya version 7. I own Maya 2008 at my home, and I was hoping that I could bring my school projects to my own computer to get some extra work done. My inquiry would be that I was wondering if there was some sort of conversion plug-in that would allow me to work on a scene from Maya 7 (in 2008 obviously) but save it in a 7 form, so that I can continue it at school. Again, I apologize if this has already been asked, and I appreciate your time. Thank you.

"All the world's a stage, and all the Men and Women merely players: they have their exits, and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts."
-William Shakespeare
# 2 03-12-2007 , 04:38 AM
Great question. The first step to do is to always save all your file as a maya Ascii. Why? this way it encrypts everything using maya's mel language which can be easily edited in Note pad. Once you do this, when you save something in Maya 8, and want to open it in Maya 7, open the Maya ascii file with notepad and replace everything that says Maya 8.0 to 7.0 , it should be within the first few lines. After you replace everything with 7.0 , save it and now you can open it with Maya 7.0

This doesn't apply when you go up in versions, only when you downgrade.

EA Games

Last edited by djknucklez1; 03-12-2007 at 04:45 AM.
# 3 03-12-2007 , 04:43 AM
Excellent! Thank you so much! :bow:
My teacher will be very happy to hear this. This is really going to help my project.

"All the world's a stage, and all the Men and Women merely players: they have their exits, and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts."
-William Shakespeare
# 4 03-12-2007 , 04:45 AM
No problem man! one last note though, Be aware that when going back and forth you may have some display issues.

EA Games
# 5 03-12-2007 , 08:11 AM
Understood, thanks so much! user added image

-William Shakespeare