Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 06-08-2008 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber
well, if you know my UPI and password you could get them...

but of course if you know that then you'd have access to all my emails and enrolment and all sorts of things

you might decide to start deleting stuff and unenrolling me from my papers and start enrolling me into random theology stuff >_<

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 06-08-2008 , 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
well, if you know my UPI and password you could get them...

but of course if you know that then you'd have access to all my emails and enrolment and all sorts of things

you might decide to start deleting stuff and unenrolling me from my papers and start enrolling me into random theology stuff >_<

Nah, I won't do that... I might just enroll you into a four-year full-time course on Ancient Greek history though... :p

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 18 06-08-2008 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
oh gawd, not another 4 years! :mg:

if you have troubleaccessing stuff we could arrange something, but i assume you're at uni (this is under the assumption that gster knows more about you than me) so you should be able to get access

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 19 06-08-2008 , 08:58 AM
Nah, I'm not in uni...

Thanks for the offer of getting stuff for me, but a long (and boring) Google search of the paper's title led me to a site that had a copy for downloading... So I have what I was after... user added image

Funny thing is that the copyright notice says:

"Permission to copy without fee all or part of this material is granted provided that the copies are not made or distributed for direct commercial advantage."

Now I really wonder why you have to pay... :p

# 20 06-08-2008 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
hahaha weird...

well good that you found what you're looking for... why you'd want to read research papers i have no idea, but then i'm also doing that too haha :zzz:

# 21 06-08-2008 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber
on that note of research papers i think it's weird and damn annoying how firefox refuses to open pdfs, and IE refuses to play quicktime, and also firefox refuses to play youtube when the opposing browser can do it no problem

surely installing quicktime would put the plug-in for both firefox and ie, as would having acrobat reader and flash...

whilst i can't fix firefox and its unwillingness to open pdfs i can fix the flash and quicktime by getting the plug ins... although i don't see why i need to download them twice

# 22 06-08-2008 , 09:10 AM
lol, yeah, it is a bit wierd user added image

Why do I want to read research papers? Because I like computers and I want to know what makes them work... at a level that bores most people :p

# 23 06-08-2008 , 09:28 AM
You generally need to pay as the papers are published in a journal of the association (in a book form, as if you go to a conference you get the proceedings, or you get a monthly journal sent to you) so what they try to do is recoup the money back of holding the conference and publishing the papers by only distrubuting it to members of the association.

The authors of the papers can distrubute them freely as its their work, you cant get a lot from the authors website, generally, but for it to be a recognised paper towards knowlage it need to be published in a journal/conference of some sorts, that way its recognised by peers and therefore contributes towards further knowlage of the subject, and gives the author credit.

For example, I could put one of my papers on biometric Id here, but it wouldent get me credit, hence I would go to an association or society, for it to be published, which I would need to be a member of, which as it would have been refereed by my peers and accepted (hopefully) and published, thus giving me credit in a recognised field.

As for researching, well I have to, its core to my job.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 06-08-2008 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
https://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...TOKEN=68218283

this is a pretty interesting article... the video is somewhat halarious
it's about IK, i don't quite understand the whole thing myself yet, but it looks like it would be really useful to have in Maya. they can make deformations that occur when you move skeletons go away with some constraints, and do all sorts of other funky things...

hey gster, do you have any published papers?

# 25 06-08-2008 , 09:34 AM
Yup, got one accepted and waiting to be published, just in the middle of writing up another. Then i'll be doing another, then another, then my thesis.

# 26 06-08-2008 , 09:38 AM
Subscriber
oo, fancy

i dunno if this is the right place to ask, but what's your thesis about? and how long have you been at it?

# 27 06-08-2008 , 09:39 AM
@ gster123

I understand why they cost money now... but wouldn't the permission to free copy them for non commercial use be sort of counter-productive? user added image

@ Chirone

The IK paper is written by Microsoft... I never knew they were into graphics research...

# 28 06-08-2008 , 09:45 AM
Send me an e-mail chrone.

Architect, MS are big into graphics, theres lots of papers written about their research into graphics, although if you search for papers written by them you probably wont find many, you would have to go off the author as they collaborate with unis a lot.

Theres a lot of studies that are for the military, I saw a presentation where the guy had simulated shockwaves, he was sponsored by DARPA.

# 29 06-08-2008 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
The IK paper is written by Microsoft... I never knew they were into graphics research...

i found this some time ago following some random links

https://research.microsoft.com/graphics/

they have Jim Blinn!!

i don't think it's much of a surprise that they have a graphics research group, i'd expect Gates to want to encompass everything to keep their market penetration

and also they have their XNA thing and xbox and vista, which i'd expect they would want to utilize the best technologies they can dig up

gster, i'll send an email once i hit submit reply user added image

# 30 06-08-2008 , 09:58 AM
Now I know where Vista gets its good looks from... user added image