Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-04-2003 , 12:20 PM

Deatailing Lights on a car ?

Hello friends !

I´ve mad a simple car-body (half).

And now I want to know how I can make a light in the front and side of the car. I mean, the details of a car are very important - so, as example the lights.

I don´t know how I can make grooves & columns between the lights and the hood.

I´ve tried to extrude faces, but that seems to be the wrong way.
Who can help me ?

Which tool I shopuld use for that ?
Does anybody know a simple tutorial ?
or some links where I can read more about that problem ?

the full file is here to download: 41kb .rar file
https://rieder.tophunter.at/3dproblems/car_problem1.rar

user added image

thank you for every help,
bernhard

# 2 12-04-2003 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
You really don't have all that much geometry to work with for starters, so you won't be able to get really detailed results I think. I would try to develop the basic shape of the car a little more to make it a bit smoother, however if you want your car to stay low poly as it is, I would simply suggest useing the split poly tool to create some extra faces near the front for the lights. As for the grooves inbetween the lights, make several horizontal cuts, then adjust the vertices as needed.

# 3 12-04-2003 , 06:07 PM

more details

yeah, the car will get smoother - I will convert the polygones to a subDidivision - you know ?

so, at the polygon-model I need to model the raugh body of the car - and than it will be a high detailed modell.

but I don´t know how I shoould make the detail in the polygons, to get a good result when I will convert the polygons to the subdiv.

that´s my problem,

thx
bernhard

# 4 12-04-2003 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
but that wont work,, basically what he is talking about is high poly models, you would want to use the split polygon tool and get some high res models, and then, you could move the verts and get the basic shape of the object you would want to model and tada.. you get the lights