Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 03-09-2003 , 04:25 AM
dave_baer: He does, but he's usually very busy. Trust me. user added image

Brian, as always, that's an excellent model. Thanks for poinint it out to me. I always like seeing the progression of your models, though you know that at some point we as a community are going to coerce you into making a tutorial on the proper way to use SubD's. user added image Ok, at least I will. I just gots to know how you work your mojo.

As for your "should I use photos as textures" issue, I say no. I think it would be different if it were the side of a barn, or a person's face for a game, or some other non-reflective object. But given that a truck/car will always have a reflective paint job (ever seen a non-reflective car? Me neither), having a static reflection on it would just look odd. Any scene you try to put it into would have to be built around making the the lighting work with the photo-reflections. I think it would be so much more realistic to make a shader that realistically provides reflections. Now, you know more about shaders than I do of course, but is it possible to make a shader that has at least two layers - one underneath that has the reflective "paint" on it so that it reflects your HDRI's, and one on top that is just the mud, perhaps with your bump maps to dirty it up? That way the mud doesn't cast reflections, but the underlying paint layer will. I don't know if you can do that, but that's what I personally would recommend.

Cheers.

# 62 03-09-2003 , 04:27 AM
Dave...user added image You should check your email, you should have one there for you now. Well... for the third time this weekend I have gotten my truck muddy, but this time its alot muddier than b4. I was trying to figure out what to do for the windows... I went out and bought a few pieces of bright red Posterboard. I plan on taping these to the inside of the window, so that I can take a photo of the windows, and (hopefully, haven't done this B4) Edit it in Photoshop and take out all of the bright red, so that it is transparant.. Like glass, but the dirt will still be on the glass... Wonder if this would work... What do you think? well, Will be retaking all of my pics tomorrow, so I should be able to start textureing again. Talk to ya later,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 63 03-09-2003 , 04:32 AM
LordPhobos,

For the past few weeks I have been waiting for it to rain. finnaly it did, all weekend I spent trying to get my BRAND NEW truck very very muddy user added image so that I can do exactly just that. I understand about the reflections alot. I was talking about it a few post back.. But I think by making it muddy, and going to a location that dosen't ahve much around, then I can take the photos, with minimal reflection, and if it has reflection, I can edit it out... I know it sounds hard and it really really is, but i think the final result of a truly photorealistic model will be worth it.. Also , did you get my email asking for your mailing address??? I really ment what I said, I thought that it would truly be easier to mail it to you then mess with my computer trying to upload it. THanks alot for replying to my thread, Talk to you later,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 64 03-09-2003 , 04:42 AM
I read those posts, but I guess I just feel that it would be easier to work on a shader that does the work for you. That's just me, of course. It's your model. user added image

The way I see it though, is that even if you found the grayest day ever, you would still get some reflections. Ok, so you go back and edit those out. But why go through all that hassle only to be left with a texture that just has the same color as your truck but without the "life" that comes with an interactive shader? If you match the colors up right, any scene you place your truck in with a good HDRI would look many times better than a high-res jpg.

That's just my two cents. I don't know much about texturing, as you know. user added image But with as much knowledge as you have about texturing, I know that you could write a shader that would blow the pants off of any ol' jpg.

# 65 03-09-2003 , 05:04 AM
well.. LordPhobos. user added image hmm.. Even if I use .jpg textures, I can still create a Specular, reflective, bump map and diffuse map... I can still use one of my many HDRI maps to light the scene, and provide reflections. I really wanted it to be cloudy so that the specular highlight from the sun wouldn't show up. Its I didn't wnat to use the photos for reflections (they are the devil user added image). I can create my own textures from scratch, I did on my jeep. The thing is, is that I wanted something more realistic than my jeep, I wanted to take it a step further. I can't draw realistic splatter marks of mud, or water runs in the mud...I don't know of anybody who can from scratch user added image I mean, you should see all of the detail in the photo that I can use for runs, and splater marks. Many people use photos for refernce as textures. . I could spend hours and hours drawing it out by hand, but it will allways have that paitnery look, or that "something isn't quite right, but I can't but my finger on it... " Well, using photos as reference is all new to me, if it doesn't work then oh well.. I guess, it is really good learning experience. atleast I had fun in the mud with my truck user added image
Brian

Let me know if you can find a procedural shader that can create all the runs and splater marks user added image
Hey, sorry about my spelling i was writting really quick.

Please check
My (old) website!
# 66 03-09-2003 , 02:21 PM
Finally I can start updateing you guys again... Here is a pic of my new reference... in a sec. I will post a pic of my new wheel and tire... Thanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 67 03-09-2003 , 02:27 PM
Finnaly.. A real update. user added image Here is the wheel with a new texture. I allread have the spec and reflection map fixed for the hubcap. I also have the bump map for the tire done, and the spec for the wheel. THanks
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 68 03-09-2003 , 02:44 PM
what the....... what did you do with your car? : D

looks crazy...like poo poo :O

hahaha

and tire texture looks amazing

# 69 03-09-2003 , 03:18 PM
I just drove thru a bunch of mud, when you go inreverse, alot more mud comes up user added image here is another render thest of the tire, the background is my HDRI map. THanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 70 03-09-2003 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
why do you buy a pickup truck when you work at an office?

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 71 03-09-2003 , 06:08 PM
what do you mean?

Please check
My (old) website!
# 72 03-09-2003 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
d24e - ever driven a 4X4 in mud? it's a whole lot of fun user added image

sweet wheel.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 73 03-09-2003 , 06:18 PM
ereitz,

Yeah, it was the first for me, and i was comming from a honda S2k, so you can imagine how timid i was at first driving thru it user added image it was able to go alot more places than I thought, very very fun. i didn't know how fun it was either at first, I was wanting to go thru the mud just for the textures, but then i found out hw fun it was user added image I am used to driving cars fast ON the road. but I think that Being off road is just as fun, if not more entertaining, because you can do alot more off road than on road. Very fun user added image plus its a big help when it snows.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 74 03-09-2003 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
I grew up in northern Canada where there were no paved roads and learned how to drive in a jeep cherokee with a lift - it's been a while since I've driven in the mud but it's definitely something I'm going to do again.

Also - I like that you're experimenting and trying to do something in a new way. I fully agree with what you said about whether it turns out to be the best way to achieve your goal or not you learned something along the way. No matter where you are on the learning curve the point is to keep pushing yourself and set your standards where you want to go.

I also think it's good to mix mediums, get out take photos, observe how the mud drips etc. and not get too set on the 'proper' way to do things.

Plus your little texturing experiment has already provided extremely convincing results.

Keep on truckin' dude user added image

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 75 03-09-2003 , 06:32 PM
Yikes! Cool pics mate!
Looks like you had a whole friggin lot of fun! user added image

The tire itsef is looking very very good! If you can mantain the same level of realism -which I´m sure you will- throughout the whole proyect, you will a trully astounding model.

I wonder if you could give us some pointers on the lighting you´ve been using. (Are you using mental ray for everything now?)

Thanks mate, keep up the good work!