Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-12-2005 , 02:27 PM

poly = convert => subd; weird looking lines on model

Helly everyone,

I'm trying to build the T-Rex at the moment. When I converted my polygon model into subdivision, weird lines appeared all over my model. These lines aren't there on the DVD so I think I messed up something. Here are some screenshots for better understanding:

before converting to subdivisions:

user added image

after converting to subdivisions:

user added image

details:

user added image

details "from inside"
user added image

Does anyone have an idea what causes these strange lines?

# 2 28-12-2005 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
Only thing that I can think of is that you might have overlaping vertices. check your model in it's lowest poly form, and if your converting back from sub-d make sure that the setting to convert back to polys are set correctly. Then go back to the area's that you had problems with in sub-d and make sure that there're no duplicated or overlapping vertices. If there are any merge the duplicates together. You might also try selecting the model as an object and try --- polygon------cleanup. that might also help.

good luck

# 3 28-12-2005 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
also another thing that i noticed about your model.. you need to get rid of all the five sided polys in your model by continuing to use your split poly tool. If you notice, all the problem area's that you have in you model in sub-d are located in the same place as your five side (and up polys, around his arm) on your low polygon model.

# 4 28-12-2005 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
hey man
i also have the same prob but i assumed it was cos its sub d's bring a mix of poly an nurbs i thought there would be stuff like that - i thinks it is something to do with overlapping verts cos it only happens to me on complex models

but weneva i have done poly clean up it has totally screwed up my model for example it makes patches disappear - they r there in poly but wen u convert there r patches missing meaning revert to last save or start again so b careful wen using it

ne way gd luck wiv the rest of the tut it is aa good 1

damm portermalone how do c 5 sided polys cos i cant but there r a few parts where u need to use split poly tool to 'finish up' as there are some edges leading to nothing

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 29-12-2005 , 09:22 AM
Subscriber
I dont think its a problem of overlapping CV's. The problem is all the 3 and 5+ sided polys.

Clean up your poly model by splitting and deleting edges so you end up with all quads before you convert to subD.

You should be able to get away with a lot less geometri around the legs, arms and eyes.

there is 2 edges inside the mouth and on the lower jaw that could easily be removed. they dont seem to do anything for your model except creating a 5 sided poly where the edge stops.

remember to delete any leftover vertices after deleting edges user added image

good luck user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 6 30-12-2005 , 11:20 PM
Okay, thanks guys. The 5-sided faces were the problem. I could fix some of them but I'm stuck at several faces. If I try to make them 4-sided by merging some vertecies or trying to fix them via split polygon tool, there appear new 5 or 3 sided faces in the area around the face I just fixed. This happens on and on, these 3 and 5 sided faces are like a chainreaction on my model. I fix one, another appears, I fix the next one, another appears... this is making me crazy. I'd appreciate any hints or help. "Cleaning" up a polygon model is really tricky.

# 7 30-12-2005 , 11:37 PM
It is just a matter of cleaning up your polys into 4 sided faces, once you've done this it should be fine, you could try Polygons->quadrangulate and see the effect at the problem areas and get an idea, and then try to sort it out using the original.