Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-10-2002 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber

Maya | Character Rigging and Animation

Hi, as anyone got the Character Rigging and Animation book from alias|wavefront, if so is it any good, worth the money? Talking of money does anyone know if its possible to get it from any where else cheaper, £87.51 is a lot for a book

# 2 12-10-2002 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
i suggest if you can afford that book, then go for it... i have found one "Character Setup in Maya", the book has everything that is required for your topic

# 3 13-10-2002 , 12:18 AM
SM Alumni
hi Ian - yup the book is very nice but also bloody expensive (as you have noticeduser added image about 3 weeks after recieving mine I got billed again by fed-ex! no idea what was happening there.... A|W claimed ignorance and havnt heard anything back from them so I had to pay though it was only £16..
anyway back to the book - only possible complaint I have with it is that it is a little too basic and its only 335 pages long. £90 is a hell of a lot to pay for such a thin book user added image thats not to say it doesnt cover some complex setups, but you may find you have to wade through a lot of real easy stuff before you get to the "meat".
one thing definatly worth mentioning - its about 80% rigging and 20% animation so if you were looking at it as more of a lesson in animation then you'd be better off looking at somthing like "The Animators survival toolkit" or "cartoon animation"(preston blair).
maybe worth taking a look on ebay and see if anyone is selling a copy??

# 4 13-10-2002 , 12:32 AM
SM Alumni
forgot to mention - when the maya master class's from this years Siggraph becomes available (i think A|W are going to release them on a DVD sometime soon) then definatly snap that up.. I've seen some of the content and its incredible. theres a section on rigging by Jason Schiefler (who i believe worked on LOTR) which stood out as being particulary good - lots of nice little time savers and usful insights on how to go about doing things user added image

# 5 13-10-2002 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
Cheers Kal,

thanks for the insight on the book, I think I will wait a bit to see if the DVD does come out

Thanks

# 6 15-10-2002 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
Ian

I bought the book at the DAW last Friday for £65 and then found out that Graphics Domain are providing the books from this country not Canada (therefore no fedex) with 10% discount on top of that. Here's there URL:

https://www.graphdom.co.uk/

They also provide other training materials on CD.

I would say that although the DVD thing is coming out I prefer to have a book that I can flick through as opposed to a CD on screen. It easier to refer to and you can read it on the train or in the bath.

I would also look out for this book Maya Character Animation by Jaejin Choi price £47.99 ISBN: 0-7821-4171-4 that is being published by Sybex in December:

https://sybex.co.uk

There now let's see some character animation!!!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 7 15-10-2002 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the link, makes this book alot more attractive to buy. When you have read a bit let us know what you think, might get it for christmas. And wow its cheaper in the UK, thats a first.

Thanks again

# 8 21-10-2002 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
Ian

I have started on the book but not got very far due to commitments, (i need to win the lottery) but it is aimed at primary aimed at someone who hasn't rigged characters before in Maya. It is very good in the way that it explains all the concepts and the movies on the CD are great.

I have learned character rigging in Animation Master so alot of the concepts I already know so I find the book easier to read and understand.

It will allow you to rigg a characters explain FK/IK set up, constraints in order to manulpulate your character to animate. It then goes on to show you facial animation and lip-syncing. If you have never done any of these things before then it is a godsend and if you have but not in Maya then it is excellent as well.

Still a bit pricey in my opinion. If you want a taster then get hold of the 3D world magazine https://www.3dworldmag.com with BUZZ's character rigging movie on it - I cannot remember what issue 25 I think - that is a good starting point, it got me started anyway.

Hope that helps.user added image

Gazzamataz
# 9 21-10-2002 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
gazzamataz,

thanks very much for the review, the book sound just what I'm after, being new to maya. I think I will have really consider by this book, as I want to get good at Maya, in particular character animation/modelling.

I have looked at Buzz's character tutorial which was very good and helpfull, i think i will have another look now that you have reminded me about it.

Thanks again

Ian

# 10 22-10-2002 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
Ian

One thing before you think of geting the book, it does say that you should be familiar with Maya's interface and layout and basics before you start. So make sure that your are (I imagie you already are anyway).

Another thing that springs to mind is I think it is a good idea to learn rigging before you start modelling. WHY? I started modelling first and then started rigging and animating that's when I discovered a fundamental lesson - MODELLING FOR ANIMATION.

Your model may look excellent but when you start to animate it (especially characters) it may deform like a right mess. If you get the book study the models supplied and study other peoples rigged character models. Things like putting extra geometry in at joints and around the mouth for lip-sysncing, you will save yourself alot of time.

Once you animate a character you will see where the problem areas are, I find the shoulders and hips the most problemactical. SO that should help give you a good start and any other novices who read this thread.

Thus endeth the lesson!

Gazzamataz
# 11 22-10-2002 , 08:12 AM
Kevin
nice review guys! thanks

# 12 22-10-2002 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Kev

Well, seeing as I have always got my nose in a book or magazine I will provide more reviews on Maya issues as I find them - I do love those books!

Gazzamataz