Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-11-2007 , 12:53 PM

transparency issue

Hi,

as you can see in the image, my transparency is not working correctly (I've upped the bump so you can see what I mean).

What is behind is visible but blurred. Only the transparency and colour are mapped on the lash, but I've set all the other attributes to 0 for just now, so it's not specularity or anything.

Also, I've made sure the the black values in my alpha map are pure black.

I've tried rendering with higher settings too, and I'm using mental ray.

Anyone know what else could be the cause?

cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-11-2007 , 02:53 PM
Just tried it with a lambert shader; it worked ok. The transparency seems to have an issue with the sss shader, but there must be some workaround?

cheers,

gubar

# 3 16-11-2007 , 01:26 PM
Anyone know anything about this one? Someone on another forum has recommended that I may need to overdrive my alpha setting by adding another node in the hypershade, but have not gotten back to me with anymore information; I've googled it and tried the help files.

It is only affecting the sss material, all others, and the transparency is fine, so it's not the transparency that has the issue, but how the sss is rendered behind it.

anyone?

cheers,

gubar