Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 06-01-2011 , 01:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good mate...the only thing I will say...and of course it might not apply where you live..(depends on your realism in this pic?) the lightpole would be in the garden behind the path (this is just typical setout)...and it would be twice the height...so people cant smash the lights. Again this is just the normal setout point and height, typically they are approx 3.0m from ground level to the luminaire. The reason I would put it behind the path...typically they are setback well from the road so cars dont run them over. Again mate this is just a typical situation in construction in Australia...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 32 06-01-2011 , 02:19 AM
Might just be optical illusion then as far as height goes. Right now the bottom of the bulb cover (White Part) is 8.5 feet high. When I placed it in my scene, I googled Lamp Post Height and only went to the first website which said standard size is 6 to 8 feet. But it seemed a little small in the scene so I made mine 8.5 feet. The lamps that I've seen around my area are usually on the sidewalks on the edge closest to the road but I've also seen some that are in the grass so I figured either way was ok.

I based my scene object sizes from assuming the front door of the building is 7.5 feet tall. The internet sites I checked suggested that typical commercial door opening heights were 7 to 8 feet. So I picked the middle, 7.5 feet. All my object sizes are based on that assumption. I did however make the back of the bench slightly lower than park bench standards cuz it just kept looking awkward. Right now the back of the bench is almost 2 inches shorter than some of the standards I saw.

However, I want the scene to "Look Good" if you know what I mean. If you still think I should change it, I'll do it. I'm not sure what you mean by behind the path in the garden...could you mark it in one of the pictures for me so I know for sure?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 33 06-01-2011 , 02:32 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no it was just an observation mate...if you are happy with it cool. In Survey (new construction) all lights are a minimum of 1.0m behind the back of the kerb...where you have it if I put it where I would in reality it would end up in the middle of the path...so we would move it into the garden so you didnt walk into it whilst perving at the sheila across the road..

As for heights..yeh in general minimum height is 3.0...like I said mate thats in Oz...things are different wherever you go...LOL...and you have that on the bulb...must be an optical delusion.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 06-01-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: add pic
# 34 06-01-2011 , 02:42 AM
Haha, that reminds me of a friend of mine who's always looking at the sheila's. I was with him once when he rear ended a car because he can't keep his eyes of them. Luckily nobody was injured.

Yeah, I have to agree that pole placement makes more sense on your side of the world. I get tired of drunks smacking into poles around here and knocking everyone's power out, haha.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 35 06-01-2011 , 03:21 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahah I hear you...though all of our power is underground now (newer stuff) so now they just take out the light..he he he he

Yes I have had the sheila stare happening and walked straight into a pole...gave me brain damage and shattered my manly ego when she burst out laughing....sshhhhaaaammmeeeeee.

bullet1968

# 36 06-01-2011 , 11:20 AM
this is lookin really good perfecto. user added image My only crit would be the top part of the lampost seems a bit darker than the lower part. apart from that, its looking great.

# 37 06-01-2011 , 11:39 AM
The Nurb Herd

Might just be optical illusion then as far as height goes...

...did however make the back of the bench slightly lower than park bench standards cuz it just kept looking awkward....

what camera lens did you decide on?

# 38 06-01-2011 , 09:07 PM

this is lookin really good perfecto. user added image My only crit would be the top part of the lampost seems a bit darker than the lower part. apart from that, its looking great.

Thanks speedy, I noticed that too but not quite sure the best way to deal with it. I was guessing adding a light that is only linked to the lampost and have it shining hopefully in a way that it won't wash out the bottom part of the lamp but yet light up the top more. Right now everything is just being lit up by two directional lights. One pointing in the direction of the photo's shadows and bright enough to match the photo the best I could. The other directional light is pointing almost the complete opposite but much much dimmer just to lighten up the dark areas of my objects.

what camera lens did you decide on?

Using the default settings. I know a little about some of the camera attributes but not a whole lot. All I've done was change the near and far clip planes as well as the environment color.

Exceed Expectations!
# 39 06-01-2011 , 11:09 PM
Created a light for the Logo. Just gotta figure out how many to use and where to place them.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 40 07-01-2011 , 12:37 AM
Havn't posted any uv's yet so I figured I'd post it for the Logo Light. Now to look for textures for it..not like it will really been seen though as far away as it will be hehe.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 41 08-01-2011 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
the sign and the lamppost dont yet look like they are in the picture.
i wonder how you fix that

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 42 08-01-2011 , 04:24 AM
Good question Chirone. I'm going to take Jay's suggestion and try adding some foilage around the base of the sign and hope that does the trick. Not sure about the lamp though. I still havn't found a texture I like yet but I'm still searching. Hopefully a decent texture will help.

When I'm ready to composite, I'm going to zoom way in on the photo to see the pixels and hope I can use that to make my objects match as far as blur and grain. I also need to get the opacity of the shadows to match the photo as well as the color of the shadows. Sadly if you look at the photo at the beginning of my post you'll see that the shadows and lighting changes from one side of the photo to the other. I didn't notice that when I chose the photo..otherwise I would have kept searching. That's ok though, I don't mind the challenge.

If I move the lamp into the grass as suggested by bullet, I can make it look like the grass is overlapping the base of the lamp and that might help it fit in. Not sure I want to move it though..still debating. My wife and son think's it looks better on the sidewalk as do I but that might only be because of what we are used to seeing.

Exceed Expectations!
# 43 08-01-2011 , 04:51 AM
Lifetime Member
Bahahaha decisions decisions mate eh? if you like the lightpole there..then leave it...what I said was just what we do here...I know its upside down where you are LOL.

Are you talking about the texture on both lights? or just the sign light?

bullet1968

# 44 08-01-2011 , 06:48 AM

Are you talking about the texture on both lights? or just the sign light?

I need a decent texture to use for the street lamp post. Right now it's a green texture but not much realism to it right now. Once I get the texture on it right, getting it to look like it's part of the photo will be all about the lighting and how the lighting reacts with the materials, i.e. specular, shadows, etc... I think. I have no real plan though except trial and error and HOPE I GET LUCKY haha. This is all kinda new to me. I've read alot this past week on lighting but I have a feeling that applying what I've read won't be easy.

Exceed Expectations!
# 45 08-01-2011 , 07:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Thats a hard one as they dont really have a lot of texture...they are either plain alloy or just painted here...no timber anymore of course. It does look something like this unpainted..but of course once the paint is on its hard to see.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968