Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 29-04-2005 , 07:27 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey BMS

Sorry not checked in for a bit but your progress is real nice. Get some light panelling in there and the rivets!!

Later

_J

# 62 29-04-2005 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jango,

I've been slowly getting a feel for Bump mapping, its pretty cool.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I plan on finishing off the Bump map tomorrow and then some how make it look old and dirty . . not sure how, but I'll give it a go.

This is what I've done so far.

Cheers
Paul

Attached Thumbnails
# 63 29-04-2005 , 09:59 AM
Looks good dude, my only comment is, are the rivets too big? I could be very wrong as I dont have any pics in front of me

Cheers
_J

# 64 29-04-2005 , 10:01 AM
Nice one, although I should lower the intesity of the yellow... you can't find yellow like that in the real world.

# 65 29-04-2005 , 10:02 AM
Or maybe that's just a placeholder for something else? Excuse my stupidness in that case user added image

# 66 29-04-2005 , 06:55 PM
Dude

I was just speaking to my gardener about pilots and stuff, and he was saying that nobody was 'allowed to be left handed' during the war as apparently a couple of guys were killed on parachute practice, the pullie for the chute was on the other side!!

Just a piece of useless info for you seeing as though you doing this model - carry on

user added image

_J

# 67 30-04-2005 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
Did a little more on the model user added image

Jango,

Man Those rivets were big :o I made them a little smaller, but I think they still need to be smaller again?

As far as your Gardener's knowledge goes wow, lucky I haven't made the pilot yet . . . I will make him Right handed !! user added image

I still can't imagine trying to get out of a spitfire while your wing is shot off and the aircraft is in a spiral dive. An ejection seat would have been handy user added image

DJbLAZER,

The yellow wasn't a place holder, I toned it down, how does that look?

user added image

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 30-04-2005 at 02:47 AM.
# 68 30-04-2005 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
Looks great. All it needs now is dirt and corrosion on the paint (and maybe a little battle damage?)
The white spinner looks a bit off to me. Do you have any pics of a pure white spinner? The only white ones I've ever seen had black hoops to break it up.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 69 30-04-2005 , 03:41 PM
I thinks the yellow was fine anyway. Sometimes its best to waiot until the job is done then you can see the offending bits and then go in and edit. Just sometimes though.

Lower your specular a bit as its quite bright and burning out, saying that your light may be a bit bright.

Carry On Dude

_J

# 70 15-05-2005 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
Ahhhhhhhh, I wish I could find that bright of yellow in your more recent pic..........pink maybe also. LOL, just playing, but nicework by the way.

# 71 15-05-2005 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
I have a tin of that Yellow and some pink at home if you still need some :p

The spitfire is OK but I think the texturing needs a lot more work. I guess its ok for my first almost complete model, but it's no where near where I would like it. I'm learning more about Photoshop for now before I continue any further with the model.

I will get this model done soon user added image

Texturing is driving me nuts, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Cheers
Paul

# 72 17-05-2005 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
BMS
That's a nice model you got coming along there. I know you have done research on this plane but if that's a MkV are you sure it had a four bladed prop? I am not sure about those exhaust manifolds either, I thought the MkV had three exhausts either side?

kennez
The black and white markings you are talking about were not Battle of Britain markings but D-Day markings. This was to avoid the confusion that ou were talking baout but it was for D-day onwards.

During the Battle of France British planes where painted half duck-egg white, half black on the undersides for identification purposes but this was phased out (I cannot remember why) during the Battle of Britain.

There were no MkVs during the Battle of Britain either. Some MkIIs but only a few. Most of the work was done by the Hurricane Mk1a and the Spit Mk1a...

Oh! Those rivets on the engine cowling were more like screw so that they could take the cowlings off to get at the engine for maintenance BTW.

What are those black lines on the wings all about, I haven't seen them before?

Sorry to bore you will details…

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com

Last edited by gazzamataz; 17-05-2005 at 11:49 AM.
# 73 17-05-2005 , 04:03 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gazzamataz
kennez
The black and white markings you are talking about were not Battle of Britain markings but D-Day markings. This was to avoid the confusion that ou were talking baout but it was for D-day onwards.

During the Battle of France British planes where painted half duck-egg white, half black on the undersides for identification purposes but this was phased out (I cannot remember why) during the Battle of Britain.
[/B]

I'll have to dig out the exact quote from a book written by s Spit pilot during the Battle of Britain, but I am sure that it was the case (or maybe it was The World at War). I'll have to check, but I am sure that it was during the Battle of Britain.

Ok. I stand corrected. Just done a quick search on Google, and I couldn't find any reference of it, although I didn't look very hard. I'm definately sure I did hear about it somewhere, though. I'll keep checking.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805

Last edited by kennez; 17-05-2005 at 04:07 PM.
# 74 26-05-2005 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
hey dude,
havent kept up with ur progress for weeks, but im assuming its finished.

model looks great, textures spot on. great work!

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 75 26-05-2005 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris,

Man I haven't worked on it for weeks. I will try to finish it off this weekend and post the final pics of it. I'm thinking of re-doing the texture but this time at much higher resolution.

I will post some progress pics soon.

Cheers
Paul