Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-02-2004 , 01:59 PM
The Maya Mountain

Maya in the Video Game industry book.

Hi, folks.

Just curious - what would be something you would like to see in a book about Maya and its use in the game industry?

# 2 20-02-2004 , 04:57 PM
Your biography? user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 20-02-2004 , 05:09 PM
haha i agree wiht KB muhahahaha.. I would really like to see a few things. I have the Maya interactive game book but if i think about i would like to see more on the below list=)

1) Cycles and how to animate them correctly for input into the engine and for the programers

2) Engine types what some can and cant do.

3) More modeling and texturing info.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 20-02-2004 , 10:22 PM
Just a few ideas:

1. Overall production workflow, i.e. concept to model/texture to rig/animation to export.

2. Modeling considerations for realtime use: poly counts, detail levels, triangle stripping, object scale, clean transforms, etc.

3. Texturing issues for realtime applications, i.e. mipmapping, texture resolution, normal mapping, etc.

4. Rigging technical details: understanding transform spaces, importance of proper hierarchy setup (generally important but games are super picky about this), Can's and Can't Do's of rigging for games.

5. MEL scripting to aid in general production workflow.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 21-02-2004 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
I don't know jack about games but on getting in to them the first thing I wander about is :

Maybe the importance of understanding the game engine fully and how the data that is used for characters and levels affect playability and performance. Ei. Like some older engines are sensitive to how the geo is constructed, if I'm not mistaken ? Mike ?

Possibly, some ideas for how to test and evaluate the engine. Then set goals to utilize it to the max.

Thin again these things might be only more relevant to a Technical or Art Director. But normally a person works for them so it might be good to understand where there coming from ?

# 6 21-02-2004 , 06:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my game industry experience is a little too brief to try to be an author on the topic. :nervous:

# 7 22-02-2004 , 10:10 AM
user added image write it now with what you know or you will be outdated to do it tomorrow user added image

# 8 22-02-2004 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber
I'm really interested on how they set up a character for game animation as well as facial animation in games.

# 9 22-02-2004 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Everyday workflow, what life is like for modelers, texturists, etc. How much "crunch-time" there is, time allowed for certain aspects of the game.

# 10 23-02-2004 , 12:00 AM
Sprites and particles for realtime.

or, "A funny thing happened to me on the way to the serveruser added image"

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 11 23-02-2004 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
I’m glad you asked this question. I my self would like to know the many different ways to get Models from Maya into Games,, I my self use ActorX but would like to know how to use it better or a different program that works better.

# 12 23-02-2004 , 12:28 AM
Hehe, Mike, it looks like you opened a bit of a can o' worms here. Let me know if you want help on this. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 13 23-02-2004 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
I personally would like to see many things, but espeally how to use maya's Dynamics and othe special effects features for games. Which type of particles to use, how to use them,etc. also I would like to know more about animating. There are many other things, but these are the most important to me, since I don't have any idea how do make/use special effects for games using maya.

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 23-02-2004 at 03:29 PM.
# 14 24-02-2004 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber
LOL, go mike go !!

# 15 24-02-2004 , 04:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
Well, I sent them an outline... just gotta wait and see what they think, I guess. user added image