Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 10-11-2004 , 02:00 PM
Your speed amazes me, you really made that head fast as well. The only crit I can give is that the hands look a bit flat on top, but maybe that is all the detail that you need since you will be giving her those gloves. Excellent progress, I'll have to keep watching this.

# 17 11-11-2004 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks contrast! Ur rite about the hands, they are a bit flat above. Although she will have the gloves I thought the more detail i build into her the better so i can always have options.

Things are going a little slow at present, my midterms are upon me so I have very little time, and all of that is going on rigging her up. Its the first time i've managed to complete a character. Nearly time for some test poses though. Then i'll accessorise....

# 18 11-11-2004 , 03:14 AM
Technical Director
Awsome mate. And like Contrast said your speed amazes me. How did you build the head so fast? Also I too agree that the hands look a bit boxy. okay, thread's bookmarked now. Nice work mate!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 19 11-11-2004 , 04:38 AM
Subscriber
Not sure how many my other threads u guys have seen, but they've been very intensive head building lessons. I found the speediest technique to be start with a cube, proportioned roughly for ur head. one extrude downwards to give the jawline, one more to give urself the start of the neck. Then poly smooth it with just one sud division. gives a nice form to start from.

Then its just split poly and finding where those lines can run with minimum fuss.

I'll post a wire of the head when i get a chance, its not perfect. far too heavy around the nose for one.

And again thanks for the interest!

# 20 11-11-2004 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
Started modelling on the hair after having a little play with a skeleton chain. Wanted to know where i needed to work on things for a final pose.

So, polygon modelling for the hair. good or bad idea? Don't know the first thing in going about doing this so any advice wud be more than welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 11-11-2004 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
and a wire of the head... like i said earlier, a bit nose heavy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 12-11-2004 , 01:23 AM
Hey Kerosene, that is looking really nice....keep it up man..user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 23 12-11-2004 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mainline. Heres an update for the moment. Shud get back to studying for my midterm tomorrow... yet Maya beckons...

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 12-11-2004 , 01:23 PM
Ahhhh, nothing like a girl in a tight top, tall black boots, and no pants. user added image

But seriously, looking good, what process did you use on the shirt?

# 25 12-11-2004 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
I've had a play around with several different methods. First was a play with cloth. I had too, it was tempting me. Then I had a look at building a polygon shirt from scratch. That just wound me up. Then I 'cut' the shirt out of shiko herself and just duplicated faces and played around with the vertices.

The one u see there is the cloth version. I thought I'd get it up and on here as soon as i was able... not sure what i'm going to stick with though... any ideas anyone?

# 26 12-11-2004 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
Very nice progress there, good work!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 27 13-11-2004 , 01:40 AM
Technical Director
Boots look a little too blocky to me. But good job with everything else.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 28 14-11-2004 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
hhmmm... zbrush 2... goood.

Looking into the possibilities of doing a bit of cross package work here. is zbrush as good as it looks for texturing?

# 29 15-11-2004 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber
still no real progess... but midterms are finally over. Been playing about with different rig setups. quick question on that point.

With hand controls, if i set a driven key on the finger rotations then how can i fine tune the motion with individual rotations. Setting DK's makes the rotations uneditable, but certain finger movements still can't be achieved. The only idea i can come up with is too make two seperate driven keys, one for the first knuckle and one for the other two.

If i'm after finer control wud it be more sensible to leave it until the GUI phase?

Someone please help, its driving me nuts! :s

And is it possible to switch expressions on and off? like if i had an expression that averages the distance of the torso between the two feet, cud i then disable it for certain purposes?

Last edited by Kerosene; 15-11-2004 at 10:17 AM.
# 30 19-11-2004 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
Well I've finished me midterms and assignments and reworked the model (again). Beginning of the hair...

Attached Thumbnails