Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 02-01-2006 , 01:26 AM

Questions

I hope i never have to ask you guys a question. Asking a simple question is not the ignorant part , nor do it make you stupid. Its when you can't find the answer and have no other choice but to use you guys.(reallity ck) When you guys started out i wonder how many ignorant and stupid question you ask? Born today knowing every thinguser added image

# 32 05-01-2006 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber

Re: Questions

Originally posted by dvineci
I hope i never have to ask you guys a question. Asking a simple question is not the ignorant part , nor do it make you stupid. Its when you can't find the answer and have no other choice but to use you guys.

so asking us is the ignorant part... thats the most ignorant and senseless comment ive ever read.

(reallity ck) When you guys started out i wonder how many ignorant and stupid question you ask? Born today knowing every thinguser added image

the idea is to ask a question in a way that will maximize the likehood of you getting an answer or helpful comment.
no one is born "all-knowing"
maybe u should have read the first post and take it into account "Here is some good advice for how to post more productive questions on these forums:"

no one have the ability to be born knowing how to use a 3d app, but im sure we all have the common sense to realize that maya is a very old application, an if everyone started as noobies, then all your noobie questions must have been answered or some one had a similar problem at some point in time. you said it yourself "When you guys started out i wonder how many ignorant and stupid question you ask?" learn to search, use the search button in the forums, thats why its there, and theres also google; stop bitching:zzz:

# 33 05-01-2006 , 10:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A wise thread.

I dont think you can ever stop asking questions because no matter our age, we dont stop learning, but in agreement to most of the above, search and search the web dont be a lazy ass, then only if you come up short of your answer, ask, and ask wisely.

But also worth bearing in mind, apart from questions etc are also answers!!On alot of the work in progress stuff the biggest 'Hate' for me is the dishonest, glossed over answer.

Ive actually been 'told off' by newbs for giving honest answers to threads where work really needs to be told how it actually is. To say that somebodys confidence will take a dive because the truth has been told, is dumb. As long as crit is constructive, then theres no way that confidence will be shattered. Anybody that cant take crit shouldnt be in the working forums. If you are serious about CG be prepared to take the crit in the forums as there are far worse sites with harsher people on them waiting to flame you.
I have actually had work called a f******* ugly bitch, now that sucked as it was uncalled for and just negative.

Answers like 'awsome' and 'cool' are great responses to a piece of work but they aren't great answers to anything specific. Something may look cool at a glance but have a longer look, I guarantee the work wont be cool after 30 seconds

So a big please to ALL, be honest, polite but honest, if something is supposed to be a car model and it looks like a roller skate, then say it, but make sure you have a good enough backup as to what is needed to rectify the problems that are being shown. Even the 'seasoned' guys can make errors!! Believe me.

So please sensible questions and honest answers will pave the way to an even better forum and above all an even better quality of work.

Cheers
Jay

# 34 17-01-2006 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
A wise thread.

I dont think you can ever stop asking questions because no matter our age, we dont stop learning, but in agreement to most of the above, search and search the web dont be a lazy ass, then only if you come up short of your answer, ask, and ask wisely.

Cheers
Jay

i agree. Jay.

here is a great illustration of your comment.
noobs are encouraged to view more than once.

CLICK HERE

# 35 17-01-2006 , 10:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Vlad

Thanks man

Jay:bandit:

# 36 18-02-2006 , 02:59 PM
vlad

thanks buddy, sorts stuff out...

# 37 04-03-2006 , 12:03 AM
cheers

# 38 20-04-2006 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
Well, I've been away on hiatus in another app (I know, shame, shame). But, now I've committed myself to learning Maya.

I've been working steadily in visual effects for the past 2+ years. And though I'm pretty proficient in "another 3D app" I know Maya is the one to know for FX work.

So, I'm back. And I knew I should probably read this thread to be sure I honor the rules of this excellent site. See you guys (and gals) in the forums.

:attn: