Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-02-2005 , 11:54 AM

how many sides should one polygon has??

from what i read ..some say 3-4 will be good ...but some body said it doesn't really matter

# 2 19-02-2005 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber
Rule of thumb is that you should try and have as many 4-sided as possible... I'm not really sure when non-4-sided is a problem, but they can give freaky results if you're smoothing them, and MR won't render sub-d's with 3-sided...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 19-02-2005 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
You should try to keep them to quads or tris. Anything higher may give unpredictable results in modeling (non-planar and manifold, etc) and rendering. When some one says it doesn't matter, they're probably referring to the fact that all renders are tessellated (triangulated).

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 22-02-2005 , 09:31 AM
pentagons are nice to sub divide, and they take up less geometry per area smoothed than quads. unfortunately they have to litterally be a pentagon shape whicih makes them harder to model with in maya.

FX supervisor - double negative