Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-01-2007 , 12:57 PM

Potential Merger?

I like the way the sites are now and don't really see any benefit to combining them. Am I the only person that feels this way? :headbang:
I mean, I don't hate the idea, but there doesn't seem to be any benefit, but potentially a combined site could be more difficult to navigate, or there may not be parity between the four distinct sets instructional information at some point. I really just don't see any pluses.

# 2 24-01-2007 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
Nope, last I checked, at least 147 of us share a similar view with regards to the merger.

However, as David has already stated, (btw thanx for clearing my IP David, so I could vote the way I'd intended) it will be possible to customize your prefferences and to customize the content shown to each of us.

This really means that it's a win-win-win situation. You get the benefit of having an undiluted resource on Maya, you get the additional benefit of having users of other software with ideas and theory that are applicable to any 3D sftware in the same place, David & Mods get the advantages of a streamlined site all in the one place, saving much frustration and time when programming the site, (not to mention the money saved by only having one webaddress and finally, you get the advantage of knowing that (a) this will allow the prices of the excellent content to increase more slowly than would otherwise be the case.

The more I think about it from everybody's point of view, the more I realise that it will be a really good thing.

# 3 26-01-2007 , 01:08 AM
I guess I really don't have a choice in the matter so it will be a situation that I'll have to have a "Wait and See" attitude about. One thing I will say is that typically any savings on the part of any corporate entity seldom, if ever, translates to savings for customers. The other issue that concerned me even now is the combined gallery where you can't really tell which software package a particular image was created in. I'm not trying to create divisions at all, but if a person sees something that they might want to ask about, that they've seen in a particular image, it makes sense if the person asking the question and the person that created the image "Speak the same language" by using the same software package. Obviously it's great to have general purpose knowledge, but it takes time to figure out the way to translate, if possible, to a familiar toolset. IMO it's better to have access to both, but intuitively have access to both and to me having the sites separate is a better idea when trying to accomplish that.

# 4 26-01-2007 , 01:59 AM
yea, i kinda feel the same way about this, but at the same time you've already got people making things in xsi, modo, zbrush, 3dsmax and posting them here anyway. i mean what's the point in posting your work at a maya site if you're not using maya? i can kinda understand the zbrush postings for texturing, but altering (or building from scratch) your model... i'm kinda iffy about it. sure, there's some talented people that can afford to go and get the 'new fangled' programs and pump out some really good stuff, but in my humble opinion, if it's not maya (or a plugin FOR maya) then i'm not really interested. i'm not flaming on anyone, it's just a personal preference - and i know that means i can choose not to comment or not to look, and i take advantage of those options.

Accept no substitutions.