Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-06-2005 , 08:02 PM

splitting an object

Hello,

I am in the process of learning maya and have a question for a short animation that I am doing. I have created a complex object using mostly polygons and would like to slpit it open (like a book)and have the rest of my animation continued inside this object. The problem is that I don't know what's the best way to do this splitting and would like some advice on it.

Thank you in advance,
Maryam

# 2 28-06-2005 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
Can you post a pic of the object you want to open?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 28-06-2005 , 09:34 PM
Thank you Michael for your reply,

I am not finished with the object yet, but it looks like an egg from the outside and has a complex inside (most of them are/will be made from simple polygons; I can also use all of it as polygons if it's difficult to slpit NURBS) I would just like to split it in half to be able to access the inside.

# 4 29-06-2005 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber
If you need a clean split, two hemispheres butted together with the pivot point of edge placed matching up to create a hinge area might to. If you need jagged edges, perhaps a shatter effect?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."