Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-06-2006 , 11:21 AM

Problems on Mech Tutorial, Not converting right

Hi,
I'm not having problem with the tutorial itself but with one of the pieces i'm trying to convert (poly's to subd's) Take a look...

Does someone knows how i can fix this? The part is really a poly part.. user added image

Thank you very much! :bow:

(edited for layout)

Last edited by Maya_Student; 06-06-2006 at 06:41 PM.
# 2 05-06-2006 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
what error does it say in the script editor ?

# 3 06-06-2006 , 07:13 AM
Actually had my command line off :headbang: so didn't see an error, but this is what i get:

// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more vertices is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold vertices, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Know when i select the object and go to Polygons--->Cleanup, reset settings and then turned 'Nonmanifold Geometry' on and kept the second choice on 'Normals and Geometry' when i click apply i don't get an error or something so i assume it works but when i then try to convert it it gave the same error user added image

# 4 06-06-2006 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber
can you open script error and post it ....

i cant tell but i think from what I was looking at you might have extruded edges or double faces ..nto sure yet ..

# 5 06-06-2006 , 07:21 AM
Subscriber
also to see if you have duplicate edges or not joined go to custom polygon display and click on the border edges button, set the edge width to what ever is good for you, I have mine set at five (you may need to click on display/polygon components/border edges too, but I'm not sure). i am not at home to see if last one needs to be done but edges will be in bold now and you can see them ..if you are at an edge you can tell if you have two close together then that is wrong ...

also if you do right click mouse and do vertices faces ...if you see two faces on each other or two lines then you have more than one face stopping you from converting ..if you cant figure it out just post up file so someone c an look at it and try to figure out where it is messing up

# 6 06-06-2006 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
have u tried rebuilding that part?

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 06-06-2006 , 06:52 PM
Thanks for the replies all! user added image

@pbman: off course i could try to rebuild it, but i also want to learn and not walk away from problems user added image

If tried al the methods named above, but haven't found anything, so if you could please take a look at it: :attn:

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...237C9043B4D339

Thanks all! user added image

# 8 06-06-2006 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
ahh but sometimes it is best to start again as sometime this can bethe simplist option

ne ways i dwnloaded it and fixed it

right do this

poly gons clean up nonmanifold
nd u should find that at the top there r some verts that need merging (to see turn on border edged under custom poly display)
merge them and covert works fine

user added image

user added image

Last edited by pbman; 06-06-2006 at 07:13 PM.
# 9 06-06-2006 , 07:12 PM
Subscriber
hahhah figured it would be in an edge and would see it by border edges ..i always leave mine at 5 so i can see those nasty buggers

# 10 06-06-2006 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
pbman can you post pic to help show where it is so he can help find it ..I am not at maya pc to show him

# 11 06-06-2006 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
there u go just edited it

also on the poly version in my pic where there 3 almost horiztonal the middle one that is ringed (middle of middle row) has a vert with no edges it would be good to delete this (highlight and hit delete) it will work if its there but its better for it not to

good luck

# 12 06-06-2006 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
thanks bud good eye ..I always have that option set on to help on modeling

# 13 06-06-2006 , 08:32 PM
THanks mate! It was basicly the same as i already did but i didn't set border edges to 5, but its weird i also selected all vertices (i mean every vertex but with the selection box in a small area around the vertice so i maybe get to select two) and merged them, and i mean i did that with ALL vertices, but nothing happened.. user added image

But thanks again very much! I will keep the option on from now on, will come in handy!

Cheers user added image

# 14 06-06-2006 , 09:39 PM
From the picture looks like you might have extra vertices or faces that are over lapping each other. Try to clean up again and this time when maya highlights that area try and delete the faces maya some times hides one under one it happens to me a lot.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 15 07-06-2006 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
it works !!!
look there
but here is a pick circlin in orange the verts needing to be deleted

u say u have probs merging the verts - in merge verts option box wack up the distance to like 4 or 5 and select each pair an merge indivualy it works cos as posted above it is in sub d mode

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by pbman; 07-06-2006 at 12:22 PM.