Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-09-2009 , 09:15 AM

Beginner rigging problems

Dear Mayas

A few rigging and skinning problems I wonder if you may be able to help me with.

1. My characters' elbows are popping when I move the main arm control. I checked the rotation of the joints and straightened it out. I s this a common problem

2. Even though a verices influences are correct in the component editor, it still seems to be massively influenced by a completely unrelated one elsewhere on the body. Is this also a common problem?

Stretch

vay kind of you.
# 2 29-09-2009 , 07:55 PM
Simply Maya OG
For question two, have you painted skin weights on yet? That may be causing your issue.

- Hybrid
# 3 29-09-2009 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
1. are you using IK? i think it is common and there is a way to resolve it, but i don't remember

2. what does a vert that is affected by something that it shouldn't be look like in the component editor?
if the weights have any value for the bone that is moving then you should expect to see the vertex move
when you soft binded did you have maintain max influences checked on? if you did then you won't be able to make a vertex not influenced by a particular bone you don't want it to be.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 29-09-2009 , 09:07 PM

thanks guys

Many thank yous for the responses there. Seems like I forgot to delete the history on the geometry and once I did I was able to set the skin weights far more successfully. As far as the little popping thing with tthe elbows and knees, it seems like I can't get around it. The animator I work with thinks that it is probably just because of moving the limbs at full lock extension, but I wish there was something I could do to get rid of it, even though the popping effect is slight. Hmmmm. Guess I'll just keep searchin for the answer to that one.

Stretch

vay kind of you.
# 5 29-09-2009 , 09:38 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
The popping problem makes me think the joint need to be moved, like its not on the center of where the real elbow joint would be