Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-04-2003 , 08:50 PM

Planer tool on NURBS object???

Hello,

This is a other question.
I wanted to use the planar tool to get a new surface from an curve.
I first trimmed a surface to get a hole in it and then wanted to fill that hole with an planer surface to get a flat surface.
But when I do that I get an error saying: "Error PlanarTrimSurface1 (Planer Trim Surface Node'); Failed to complete the result.

But when I use the planar tool on the original curve wich is projected on the surface. I give no error and I get an planar surface. The problem is that this curve is nog like the one projected on the surface. It's "flat".

Can Anyone give me some advice on the isue???

Thank you very very much!!!

Regards,

Arce

# 2 07-04-2003 , 07:41 AM
I think you need to duplicate the trimmed curve (in yellow) and then apply planar. Otherwise the trimmed curve is just a hole in the NURBs hood of the car.

# 3 07-04-2003 , 08:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
a planar surface will only compute on a flat curve. Yours is curved to the contours of the vehicle.

# 4 25-04-2003 , 10:19 PM
what you might want to do is also keep the surface your trimmed out.

ie, you duplicate hood, untrim the hole, re-trim, this time keeping the inside part. that could work as your glass lamp cover.