Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-04-2003 , 07:39 PM

I feel depressed...

I feel so f***ing depressed.
I started to learn maya two weeks ago. I did all included tuts.
Now I wanna make something myself.Without any templates or some tuts. Someone here told me I could make The-Jack-in-the-box. I tried all but I cant get something good. I cant get the edges smoothed...I cant make the hole in the middle...only the jack face looks cool...

I feel so depressed cuz I wanted to become a good modeler like you all in some years. user added image

# 2 14-04-2003 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
hey dnt worry bout it, ive been learning maya for over 2yrs? and i still cant do what u want to do, im not sure whether thats good or bad, but just know ur not along in feeling like that

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 14-04-2003 , 08:33 PM
It just takes time, practice, and patience. Keep at it and you will get better. Most of us don't become experts overnight. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 14-04-2003 , 08:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
Maya isn't something that people can master in a matter of weeks, months, or even years... it's a continuous learning process. Even people who are seen as "teachers" of this thing still learn new things and get better and better with each project.

But you don't start getting better until you DO make something... make it, and even if it totally sucks, learn from it, and make something else. Rinse and Repeat. user added image

# 5 14-04-2003 , 08:51 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Maya isn't something that people can master in a matter of weeks, months, or even years... it's a continuous learning process. Even people who are seen as "teachers" of this thing still learn new things and get better and better with each project.

But you don't start getting better until you DO make something... make it, and even if it totally sucks, learn from it, and make something else. Rinse and Repeat. user added image

Well said Mike.

I wanted to answer, but I would have comed across as a cynical bast*rd. user added image

# 6 14-04-2003 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
Well-said everyone. I think this is true with anyone who uses Maya or any 3D software for that matter. It takes a lot of patience, practice, time, practice, devotion, practice, and well... practice. I wasn't able to make what I wanted for a while, but if you put your time into it, you will deffinently be rewarded. The first few months of Maya will be a grinding process, but it pays off in the end.

# 7 14-04-2003 , 10:33 PM
lol...my grammar suckz cuz I am german...
I was in the tutorial section here and I have to say..WOW..great tutorials..they helped me a lot.The best one was the simple man shape tut.It helped me to know the tools better.
I am trying to make a toilet now.

Cya EagleKing

# 8 14-04-2003 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by adldesigner
I wanted to answer, but I would have comed across as a cynical bast*rd. user added image

lol

# 9 14-04-2003 , 10:40 PM
Hey, I started Maya, learned realy fast, didnt do crap, learned some more, and now im back to my not doing crap stage. You just have to wait until inspiration comes. THen you do a project, and you learn from it. It is a slow process, but I think it will be worth it.

Rince and Reapeat.

LOL, My new mod-o

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 10 14-04-2003 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
Nothing in life is straightforward. As Mike said Maya is a continual learning curve. Everyone u see producing these fantastic models has put in alot of hard work. We all start at the same basic level. If u really put ur mind to it and u really have the will to learn from ur mistakes, u will improve steadily over time. Try not to be too demanding of urself so early. Keep practising and it will come to u I assure u. Dont compare ur work to other ppls, set ur own standard which suits ur learning drive user added image

Best thing to do is keep at it - post some work here on SM, get the feedback u need to improve. Everyone will give u the advice and encouragement u need user added image

# 11 15-04-2003 , 12:17 AM
Well, I'm not the big motivational type of person I guess, but I'll give it a try. Just keep working with Maya everyday. Play around with options, click stuff you shouldn't click, lol, just try everything out. That's one of the best methods of learning. Experimenting. Oh and I thought I'd tell you, you can use Polygons > Booleans > Subtraction to make the hole for your Jack-In-The-Box. Hope this bit of insight helps in becoming a better 3D artist.
-Peace Out

# 12 15-04-2003 , 01:48 AM
Also, you cant really learn every thing about Maya, or any 3D software. It's just way to big. For example, you may have expert knowledge of modelling and animation, but only good knowledge of dynamics and texturing.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 13 15-04-2003 , 01:52 AM

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
Also, you cant really learn every thing about Maya, or any 3D software. It's just way to big. For example, you may have expert knowledge of modelling and animation, but only good knowledge of dynamics and texturing.

user added image

Actually you can, not saying it´s easy, but all these programs work on principles, and as such, you could actually get to know the underlying of the program, and then apply it without even thinking about it. It would come naturally.

Budists call this process ilumination. user added image

# 14 15-04-2003 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber

[i]Originally posted by z1mmnd14[i]

you are right,,, a person might be an excellent animator but no way a modeller or can be the other way round too,,,

# 15 15-04-2003 , 01:57 AM

Originally posted by tariqrf
you are right,,, a person might be an excellent animator but no way a modeller or can be the other way round too,,,

Why not?