Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-02-2008 , 10:49 PM

texturing or modeling - which is more important?

Hi, So i've been using Maya and learning for a few months now, and it seems to me that you can do so much with textures and in the hypershade than i first thought!

I wonder whether i'm getting too hung up on modeling and spending too much time making everything perfect in the modeling stage of the process - like deforming bricks and modeling each roof tile (well not quite but you know what i mean), or for example modeling cobblestones (which took me ages) whereas i could have done it much quicker with displacement/bump map.

Would you say it would be better to spend less time on the modeling, i.e just get everything in the right position but stick to simple polygon shapes like cubes/spheres etc - and spend more time in the texturing stages where you can quickly impart the illusion of roof tiles/cobblestones, dirt, debris etc?

Up to now i've been spending a lot of time learning modeling, but now wonder whether i have spent too much time on this and neglected learning the texturing/lighting/rendering skills that really bring a scene to life?

# 2 14-02-2008 , 11:21 PM
Lifetime Member
Niether is more important, they are equality important to each other.The modelling needs to be clean and functional for what it has to do and the texturing can make or break a model.

There is certainly no harm in spending time modelling because the more practice you have the better and more importantly faster you will get, however some things are simply not worth the time it would take to model perticularly if the item will only be seen for an instant or from a distance.
It is a judgement call on your part if it's a personal project as to what needs to be modelled and what can be bumped or displaced.
Another factor is rendertime, increased polycount might increase rendertime more than a displacement or bump map ,so again a map might be a better way to go.
In a production environment other factors might effect the decision like polycount or an art director wanting a perticular look.
The bottom line is it's about getting the look required in the fastest most productive way rather than the most perfect model ever.

Hope this helps a little with your question.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 14-02-2008 at 11:24 PM.
# 3 15-02-2008 , 02:13 PM
:attn:
well, we can't say which 1 is important. But its sure that neither can be without the other one. Sumtimez its clever not to do too much detailed modelling n cover up details in texturing but there r sum times when detailing in the modelling is necessary. So either way, its better not to think that its a wastage of time in learning modelling or texturing in detail.
:blush:
Thnx.:bow:

# 4 15-02-2008 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
you should plan your model before opening maya.., then you can plan to not do more than you have to.., you do exactly what you need to for your model.., each case is different

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 15-02-2008 , 06:19 PM
cheers for your advice - i think i do need to spend more time planning the model before i open maya! I find myself thinking, "oh it'd be cool if there was a .... in there..." etc and spend time doing that!

I will spend more time learning rendering now though as i think my modeling has got to the stage where i can do most things i need to pretty well.

# 6 15-02-2008 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
first there is a mountain

then there is mo mountain

than there is

thers always moore my friend. user added image

take it easy and life will be easy