Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-05-2005 , 06:12 PM

More can be done (I guess)

Weird....this started out as a cylinder.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-05-2005 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
WOW, I really like it. Im am pretty stupid, but did you use bump maps for this. Also, are displacement maps the same as bump maps. Did this just start out as a spur of the moment project that you just thought would be fun to do. Huh, guess I asked more questions than I did give credit. Oh well, nice job user added image

# 3 30-05-2005 , 03:44 PM
Actually... I don't like to see that moments before dinner...
So you could say you made me feel a special way seeing your
picture, well done.

Add me please
(I want to improve both english AND 3d skills)
MSN: Bryce5@gmx.net
# 4 31-05-2005 , 01:33 PM

Thanks!

Hello and thanks for the compliments "alienscience" and "Bryce". I used a basic default bump maps for this little piece, I think marble. This started out as being a nozzle for some type of futuristic gun but when I used the function "polygon smooth" and saw the result I decided to go in another direction just for fun. I scaled it up really large, added a blinn material, basic bump map, a ramp to add some color and a sphere with a yellowish green glow to add some interest. By no means is this a masterpiece it's just the result of a lot of tweaking and fun.

A bump map is a grayscale image used to give a surface the illusion of ridges or bumps

A displacement map is a technique that allows a texture input, either proceedural, or image, to alter the position of rendered faces.