Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-08-2005 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber

Losing inspiration...

hmm yea.. i see all the great artists here and i wish i could be that good... but sometimes when i try to do the simplest things... i dont know how to do them... i havent modeled anything in the past 3 or 4 days.. i just dont know where to start or what to do.. i did the dog tutorial by kurt.. loved it.. i made 1 dog... it sucked... then made another.. turned out pretty ok.. then when it comes to texturing it.. i cant do it correctly.. even if i somehow manage to the make the UV Map somewhat decent.. when im in photoshop.. i dont know how to create realistic textures.. i did the dragon head tutorial as well. modeled it.. look decent.. but there are so many poly's in the head... that its impossible for me to make a UV Map.. :-/ grr.. :-/ how did u guys begin maya... what did u start on.. what did u learn first? heh i saw Vim's WIP.. and thats great... 16 years old.. only 7 months.. amazing kid... i just turned 19 today and i cant even make simple objects look realistic... heh im really thinkin of gettin Mike's book ... :-D although i like his vid tutorials easier..

# 2 11-08-2005 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
You need to overcome the attitude that is holding you back. There is indeed a lot of great artwork being done here, even by "noobs" but one thing I'm willing to bet on is that all of these artist spend a great deal of time in Maya. So much so that they'll find themselves trying to "tumble" in other programs.

The one thing I can think of that might help you is to model a topic you have an interest in and set a goals to complete your vision. If you're working on a topic that interest your more inclined to stick with it.

I've been working with Maya for a year now, and I'm still learning just modeling. I keep delving deeper into various option and actions. This for me is fun so that is why I stick with it.

It may be the you're just not suited to 3D work also. If so, there's nothing wrong with that. If this is the case, then just accept it and move on.

Good luck whichever route you go.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 11-08-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
the thing is.. i love doing this.. when its going good
i stayed up all night number of times just playing with maya and watchin tutorials to get better..
like u said.. do something that u enjoy.. so i enjoy music
i play guitar.. why not model my strat...
not a simple task.. i wouldnt know where to begin...
make all those little holes... on the pickguard of the guitar where the screws are.. making every single detail.. at least the most important ones.. i guess maybe i look at the object as a whole instead of dividing into little pieces..

# 4 11-08-2005 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."