Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-05-2008 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber

Me Finshed Room

Just finshed this peice of work for uni and i thought that i wiuld show you guys to see what you think.

cheers, pat

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 2 14-05-2008 , 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Those look pretty nice. The modeling looks good only thing that might take away from that are the flaps at the bottom of the couch, they look like paper, the cushions could look softer and the folds of the curtains are too uniform. The texturing look good too, I especially like the wear and tear on the edges of the desk, only crit on that is the texture for the computer chair.

The lighting setup looks good but there are a couple things bothering me about the rendering, the first day shot looks a little washed out, the second daylight shot looks overblown and the night shots have some blotchiness on the walls, also I think you need to bump up either the shadow rays or the samples on the area lights for the monitors, I'm seeing grain in the shadows for the keyboard and mouse etc. These still look good though. Keep it up. user added image

- Genny
# 3 14-05-2008 , 12:48 PM
Subscriber
cheers thanks alot.. i'll have a look at going over them..
i think i was working for too long on these and in the end became blind to all the little stuff..

thanks again, much appreciated
pat

# 4 14-05-2008 , 01:00 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Very nice
BUT the pc is running Vista!
it just spoils the mood of the room :hug:

# 5 14-05-2008 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
haha, i'm sorry to dissappoint!
although i will say that vista hasn't given me any troubles with maya so perhaps i'm just one of the lucky ones!

# 6 14-05-2008 , 01:47 PM
Jr.Who
Looks pretty nice, but what's going on with the TV screen and the dots on the floor, in the night scene?

# 7 14-05-2008 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
wow very nice work. looks realistic and I love the lighting. what where the render times?

# 8 14-05-2008 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
thanks alot,
jr who,
i'm not sure what happened with the dots on the floor, i think it was the camera angle and the bright bit around the tv was because i moved the area light back too far so it showed up on the geometry!

danotronXX,
thanks, they werent too bad. at 720x526 they were only about 10-15 for the colour pass and only a couple of mins for the occlusion pass.

# 9 14-05-2008 , 02:11 PM
Subscriber
looks good, my friend has the same computer screen

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 10 14-05-2008 , 04:38 PM
Nice work wod! You did a great job overall. Lighting looks great.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 11 15-05-2008 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
cheers user added image

thanks alot for all the nice comments!

# 12 15-05-2008 , 08:25 AM
Great scene, only minor crits would be that the materials/texture on the monitors and keyboard look dull in comparisson with the others, which all look great.

How is it lit?

cheers

gubar

# 13 16-05-2008 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber
guber,
cheers, yeah i wasnt to happy woth the keyboard, i always meant to go back and redo the textures but run out of time.

the day one is lit with global Illumination, has about half million photos with an intesity of 3mill. there is also an area light with a small intensity which covers the whole cabinet as it was very dark inside.
the night one use final gather with secondary difuse bounces. the screens are just area lights with very blurred pictures of the monitor and tv screen plugged into there out colour. and the lamp has a mia_point_light plugged into it as it gives for a better fall off.

ta
pat

# 14 16-05-2008 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
Very nice renders and very photorealistic user added image

Only crit would be that hasnt been said i think is the keyboard texture ... looks abit plain and default gray :p

Nice job though overall! great light setup user added image

Question, how many lights where used in this setup?