Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2009 , 08:16 AM

jellyfish model

hi all!
im a budding digital artist. Started taking classes within the last year, and im loving every minute of it. But, im a bit stuck on one of my projects. For this class we are modeling a jellyfish. I have already done a basic jellyfish, but I really want to wow people with my second jelly fish!

I really want to model something similiar to https://etc.usf.edu/clipart/7300/7313/jellyfish_7313.htm

The problem is that i have no clue how to go about modeling the frills in the middle. I was thinking something with ncloth, but if anyone has any thoughts i would love to hear them. If not any tutorials that could point me to a technique that you think might be able to be adapted would be wonderful!

Thanks for any help you can offer to this student :attn:

-Ruxpin

# 2 03-02-2009 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
nCloth also sprung to mind for me when you mentioned jelly fish, I would imagine possibly using soft bodies could get a nice effect to.

Chris

# 3 03-02-2009 , 11:10 PM
thank you for the the response!

So i think i might stick with the ncloth route, seeing as I know very little about soft bodies. Of course, I also know very little about ncloth. Does anyone know of a tutorial that might be helpful in getting a cool effect that is maybe somwhat similiar to what the jellyfish I already posted has?

If not don't worry, I'm just trying to improve, if even a bit!

thanks again
- Ruxpin

# 4 04-02-2009 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
ncloth seems like it would be a good option for you. I haven't used it often but you can turn modeled polys into cloth objects, but how to constrain it and make it all frilly I have no idea. Could always do a rough test with it and see how it will work and if it doesn't work than soft bodies might be your only other option (that I'm aware of anyway).

# 5 04-02-2009 , 01:10 AM
The Nurb Herd
i wouldn't go with ncloth if you are just a beginner... but then, i probably wouldn't go with ncloth even if you aren't.

why dont you just model it flat and throw on a bunch of deformers. Is it for a still or an animation? i think you will get much better results quicker, and you will have more control over it.

# 6 04-02-2009 , 03:00 AM
its a still that i toss a turn table on... so its not going to be animated.
I actually gave ncloth a shot out of curiosity, and I think it made my computer hate me. Now batch render quits unexpectedly!.. how fun.

either way thanks a lot for the help so far all! any other thoughts are still welcome.. The assignment is due tomorrow morning, but I think ill model something a bit easier and save these frills for a personal project user added image

# 7 04-02-2009 , 09:47 AM
The Nurb Herd
ok it looks crap but this took like 10 minutes to model. I have no idea how to use ncloth. I find it strange that people suggest it so often.

user added image
i didin't look at your picture while i was modeling, but i think its similar...

# 8 04-02-2009 , 10:09 AM
Because ncloth is great, and can be used for a hell of a lot more than just simulating cloth.

If your going an animation then I would use it, it makes things a lot easier and it's really fast to simulate (lots of pre made presets and a simple interface)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 04-02-2009 , 10:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
i have no doubt, but i wouldnt say its a beginners tool... perhaps i'm wrong and should give it a go. I have a tutorial from a 3D world mag