Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-03-2016 , 01:40 PM

animation school?

A friend asked me what is a decent school/course to take to learn animation in maya and I found myself not being able to answer her unless she wants to go heavily into debt and attend a full blown university or school. I know digital tutors has some courses but they never really go thru all the aspects of everything having to do with animation, it's more like here follow me and do this. She knows most things with modeling from nurbs to polys and she's actually a decent artist in maya. I think the art institutes are a good path but again she doesn't have fifty thousand dollars (American) to spend for a ba or whatever you may get upon completion. Can anyone possibly point me in a direction that she doesn't have to take a second mortgage out on her house to go to school? I do know there are grants and loans but were both a bit older than probably most on here and have families so going further into debt really isn't an option but I do understand the quality of school and learning but again who wants to go into debt learning maya and then have to hunt for a job that pays very little and you're paying off school debt for a few hundred years, if you're lucky. I've done google searches and browsed a few online courses but again no one really goes into the meat of it like the settings and explaining tangent types, timing, why autokey is used, using the time slider to it's fullest extent and etc. I'm sure I'll get bombarded with schools and I think that's the right answer but I was curious if someone else has any info to add. "Cheating in Maya" is a decent book but again they jump right into the action and without the basics down it's pointless. Thank you.

# 2 21-03-2016 , 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well you can look at it another way. The degree won't save a weak demo reel and and lack of one won't take a strong reel out of consideration. Lots of tuts around on the basics to advanced approaches and as you mentioned, some even offer courses to create a full guided path. It can be done and has been done. She's going to have to invest considerable experimentation, practice and accept critique to push beyond the "how to" level of polish (I think that Maya help files are actually pretty good and can help fill in the gaps like with tangents for example). This still applies even to college courses or risk having a weak demo reel that gets passed over. I think Gnomon has some animation material. Lynda should as well. There are free rigs around (the Andy rig is popular). And check out the 11second club, they're a site with focus on character animation, there are workshops and regular challenges, a lot of great stuff there.

I've heard good things about Animation Mentor so she could check that out if she hasn't already. I remember around ten years ago there all these online animation schools popping up. Some were kinda sketchy. Using random artists' work unbeknownst to them, no credit, nothing. Ah memories.

- Genny
# 3 21-03-2016 , 04:02 PM

Well you can look at it another way. The degree won't save a weak demo reel and and lack of one won't take a strong reel out of consideration. Lots of tuts around on the basics to advanced approaches and as you mentioned, some even offer courses to create a full guided path. It can be done and has been done. She's going to have to invest considerable experimentation, practice and accept critique to push beyond the "how to" level of polish (I think that Maya help files are actually pretty good and can help fill in the gaps like with tangents for example). This still applies even to college courses or risk having a weak demo reel that gets passed over. I think Gnomon has some animation material. Lynda should as well. There are free rigs around (the Andy rig is popular). And check out the 11second club, they're a site with focus on character animation, there are workshops and regular challenges, a lot of great stuff there.

I've heard good things about Animation Mentor so she could check that out if she hasn't already. I remember around ten years ago there all these online animation schools popping up. Some were kinda sketchy. Using random artists' work unbeknownst to them, no credit, nothing. Ah memories.

All great points, thanks Jen.