Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-02-2007 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber

Camera Focus

I have two objects, one next to the camera and the other one a little bit away!
I want show the relation between the two objects and for that I
want switch the sharpness of the camera between the objects.

First is the Focus on the nearer object and then slides the sharpness of the camera to the farer object!

Where is the option for that?
I canĀ“t find it in the Camera Attributes!?!
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Mayastatic; 18-02-2007 at 06:28 AM.
# 2 18-02-2007 , 03:54 PM
Senior Software Developer
What you are looking for is called Depth of Field, this is done by changing the correct attribute.

Here is one way:
https://www.jozvex.com/tutorials/dof.html

And I think if you change the focal lenth of your camera then it gies the right effect. This is an extract for CGTalk about this subject:

"... create a distance mesaure tool. parent one locator to the camera and one to an object which lies in the center of your focus.

then via the connection editor, connect the distance from the distanceShape to the focus distance of your cam... "

Hope it helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 18-02-2007 , 04:41 PM
A really really easy way to do it is to create a camera then in the hypershade middle clock the camera that you've created and plug the center of interest into the Fstop.

Then if you select the camera in the viewport and press T the center of interest is shown, move it to your object and render, adjusting the focus distance to suit how "tight" you want the focus. Thats how I do it anyway.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 19-02-2007 , 08:10 PM
Can i see if models are in focus or not without a render?

# 5 19-02-2007 , 08:38 PM
Senior Software Developer
No, will need to conduct multiple render tests to get the look you want.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)