Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 24-12-2008 , 07:14 AM
all made from 4 sided and 6 sided cubes

Edited: Changed "add made" to "all made"

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 24-12-2008 at 07:28 AM.
# 32 24-12-2008 , 07:19 AM
Acid44
damn, that's goptta be the most in-depth group of posts i've seen on here, ggood freakin job mate user added image

it really puts into perspective how much easier things could be if i took time to think about how im gonna do things rather than flying into it with the extrude tool in one hand and insert edge loop in the other :p

# 33 24-12-2008 , 07:20 AM
Half sphere with some extruded faces. I'll post some more wires for you all tomorrow. Hope these wires are helpful to some of you.

P.S. I went to a christmas party a little while ago and someone got me a season of Stargate Atlantis so I'll be watching them and then changing some of my geometry most likely user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 34 24-12-2008 , 07:26 AM
Right on acid44! You are completely right. I usually don't model any geometry until I've gone over it in my head first. In the long run it saves lots of time. A little extra planning in the beginning always works out well for me.

Exceed Expectations!
# 35 24-12-2008 , 12:09 PM
Acid44
that half sphere thing is cool, i have a concept kinda similar to that but with the extruded faces making a bio-hazard sign thing for a concept car im working on:p

thinking about the model prior to working on it seems to have the opposite effect for me, any time i think about it first i end up doing a complete 180 turn in the middle when it comes to technique and screw the whole thing up, whereas when i jump into it i have no idea what im doing anyways so i cant make any technical changes :p

# 36 24-12-2008 , 02:53 PM
That thread goes in my bookmarks !!! :attn: :attn: user added image

# 37 24-12-2008 , 04:28 PM
Some more screen shots while I wait for my familly to wake up.

This building looks the most simple but it was the most challenging for me. I decided to start by creating a tall cube with divisions. Then I created a stretched sphere and positioned it so that when I did a boolean union (yeah that's right, I used the boolean tool) I was left with the shape you see. I cleaned up my mesh and then duplicated, then applied a nonlinear bend to each piece. Then I used the scale and move tools to adjust both the geometry and bends to finish it off.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 38 24-12-2008 , 04:31 PM
Just some cubes and cylinders.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 24-12-2008 at 04:33 PM.
# 39 24-12-2008 , 04:37 PM
The center piece is an extruded cube. The highlighted piece started from 1/4 sphere where I extruded the bottom piece for the height, then used split poly, bevel (to create more horizontal lines) and extrude to make the sections. Then just added some cylinders and a few cubes for the support looking things.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 40 24-12-2008 , 04:39 PM
Extruded cubes

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 41 24-12-2008 , 04:41 PM
This spire is mostly made from 6 sided cubes. Used Cut tool to create 45 degree angle, then used split poly, bevel, and extrude to create the rest of the detail.

Edit: I used Boolean Difference to create the hole you see. Then cleaned up the mesh from using the boolean.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 24-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
# 42 24-12-2008 , 04:47 PM
I'll post some more wires later

Exceed Expectations!
# 43 25-12-2008 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Perfecto
Some more screen shots while I wait for my familly to wake up.

aren't you meant to wake them up yourself? :p

dude, this is really cool XD

how many polys you taken up?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 44 25-12-2008 , 02:19 AM
530k polys

And life is always better when my wife gets ALL her sleep user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 45 31-12-2008 , 03:00 PM
Fantastic work! :attn:

I'm a big fan of stargate myself... I think it looks great. You should definitely make a few puddle-jumpers. Maybe have them destroy a raith dart.

You should also make the whole city FLY! And make sure to add the shield as well, that makes it look cool.

Anyways, excellent work.