Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 16-04-2009 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
Though saying that I'm only at 163000 polys, so there's a lot more I can add...

well your doing something right if that`s the number of polys you got with that much detail.

Mines at the 1.4 million stage now - but not touched it in 3 days as I had to decorate the house while the girlfriend in Florida.

# 62 16-04-2009 , 02:35 PM
Tweetytunes: Well I hope the decorating went well then (no paint on the carpet,woodwork etc...lol)
I'm being as careful as I can with the polys this challenge, so thanks as I didn't know how well I was doing!

# 63 16-04-2009 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
when you have to turn off everything but the layer your working on - you know that its time to stop and start texturing.

# 64 16-04-2009 , 03:36 PM
Good point Tweety, I'll keep that in mind!
Have got a little further, been finishing off the back end, which obviously doesn't get seen so wanted to get it out of the way, got to finish off the back end of the launch bays yet, but here's an updated render for now...

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 16-04-2009 , 04:44 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Dango77

I'm being as careful as I can with the polys this challenge, so thanks as I didn't know how well I was doing!

why? I never understand why people are careful about how many polys they use.

# 66 16-04-2009 , 04:56 PM
H.H: I just don't want to get to the point of having so many polys I can't add anything more, or add any more detail.
Also from what I've read online and in books it's good practice to keep your poly count low and still get a smooth, clean model. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to make much sense having a billion polys if you can get the same results from one with far less.

Have just finished the back end shape off so I can finally post an image from another angle, a profile this time!

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 16-04-2009 , 05:36 PM
wow - nice job mate - this just keeps getting bigger and bigger (and better)

one thing i don't get tho, is how the pilots get from the small ships into the large ship, as on the second page it looked like their ships are only connected by the wings... unless, of course they... i guess.... teleported. user added image

also - are you sure you're reading your polycount right? i'm kind of finding it hard to believe this is so low - you know, with all of those tiny ships and everything else...

# 68 16-04-2009 , 05:47 PM
Hey Arran, thanks for the comments!

The grubs get into the ships inside the back part and the pod ships are loaded into the launcher on a track that comes out from inside, I did a little explanation image for you!

As for the poly count, I'll take that as a compliment,I'll post an image in a sec...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dango77; 16-04-2009 at 05:53 PM.
# 69 16-04-2009 , 05:49 PM
# 70 16-04-2009 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Dango, you are really blowing me away!! This is so very good!! And just gets better every time you post. Nice poly count also, you are using your head when it comes to that!!

Silly question? Are ya having fun!!! ;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 71 16-04-2009 , 06:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looking really really good. I really like the shape your ship is taking. And I don't think every surface necessarily has to be full of detail. I think large smooth surfaces look good too, as long as they fit with the overall design, so it's looking good user added image

# 72 16-04-2009 , 06:57 PM
Tom: Lol! Yep, I'm most definitely having fun! Thanks for your kind words, I'll do my best to keep improving!

Stwert: Thanks for your comments too!
I'm inclined to agree with you when it comes to the large areas not needing so much detail, and when it comes to doing the texturing I can always add in the subtle details of dirtmaps, paneling etc anyway.
But I'll see where it takes me, I want to do the areas I know will have modeling detail first, then see how it looks.

# 73 16-04-2009 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
326969 is your poly count

you count triangles not faces, because faces are split into triangles which are your polygons user added image

are you almost done with the modeling? i should finish mine at some point...........

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 74 16-04-2009 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone

you count triangles not faces, because faces are split into triangles which are your polygons user added image

are you almost done with the modeling? i should finish mine at some point...........

Thats not teck correct. A poly is any surface with a normal

Only game engines counts tris as polys. Just look at Zbrush/mudbox - that also counts quads as polys

# 75 16-04-2009 , 09:49 PM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
Thats not teck correct. A poly is any surface with a normal

Only game engines counts tris as polys. Just look at Zbrush/mudbox - that also counts quads as polys

Arrgh! So which is best to go with?!
I originally was counting quads as polys for the whole "Zbrush and other Programs" not liking tri's reason, and thought that they were generally considered Polys, I am now still as unsure as I was to start with!

Anyhow, I've been doing a bit more detailing and here's a render of what it's looking like at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails