Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-07-2007 , 02:15 PM

Adding Material with Diffuse Color + Texture to .obj file

I need to apply a material to my model, except that the material needs to support diffuse color *and* a texture. In Maya, when I make a material, I can change the diffuse color simply by editing the Color. However, once I drag a texture and connect it to the Color, I can't modify the Color anymore, and inside the texture there are some color commands but none of them modify the Diffuse component anymore.

The problem is that this diffuse color now default to 0,0,0. I am exporting the model to .obj format, and Kd exports as 0,0,0, but should at the least be 1,1,1, or other valid values. If it's 0,0,0 as Maya exports, the object becomes black. I've tried layered shaders, but they don't export properly nor do they give the expected effect.

Thanks.

# 2 16-07-2007 , 04:35 AM
for which software do you export as an obj? and -> why confuse yourself with getting the shader right inside maya? whatever software it is Ithink it will be better to put up a shader there.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 18-07-2007 , 08:06 AM
It's not for a model editor, but implemented in another program (not an editor). I need both modes, because sometimes I will render it without the textures, and sometimes with, and also the color seems to affect the texture. Is there any way to do this in Maya? It seems like there definitely should be, since it always outputs Kd anyways. The Kd is used in DirectX, with FVF as coords + color.

I export it to .obj using Maya's (V7) export to .obj feature.

Last edited by AberAber; 18-07-2007 at 08:09 AM.
# 4 18-07-2007 , 12:37 PM
Yeah that´s a good question, what format supports uv maps/textures shades etc. OBJ. only supports the model itself or?

# 5 18-07-2007 , 12:57 PM
newmtl blinn1SG
illum 4
Kd 0.00 0.00 0.00
Ka 0.00 0.00 0.00
Tf 1.00 1.00 1.00
map_Kd test.jpg
Ni 1.00
Ks 0.50 0.50 0.50

i guess this code from the .mtl-file of the objExport is what you was talking about. as I am no programmer and give geometries as well as animation data straight away, I can´t tell exactly - but I once watched a friend modifieing this code with some lines for his engine.

everybody I worked with did put up shaders in their own program. be it Quest3D or some selfcoded graphics Engine. I usually export directX_files from 3dsMax cause maya ever since has problems with doing it right. UVs are stored correctly in this fileformat. but I´m looking forward to try okinoPolytrans. to get better results then I do with just transferring from maya to max to directX.

other than that it is all just I dont really know m8!

# 6 18-07-2007 , 11:00 PM
Such a simple thing, frustrating.

# 7 19-07-2007 , 12:10 AM
obj-format stores UVs only if you export with a texture. when exported with a colorshader only the UVs seem to get lost...

# 8 23-07-2007 , 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Falott
obj-format stores UVs only if you export with a texture. when exported with a colorshader only the UVs seem to get lost...

Right, but I need the Kd color when I export with the texture. It just makes it 0,0,0. user added image