Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 26-06-2008 , 11:02 AM
The PLE is complete.

What I meant is the $400 educational version is unlimited.

When I started with maya using the PLE Version 6 it could load up ma and mb files so you could do tutorials and get models to use, but as you say you cant output to anything to use it elsewhere.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 26-06-2008 , 11:46 AM
Senior Software Developer
Ok Cool, not suer about educational wether it came in both flavours...

At least I am not a mac user :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 18 01-07-2008 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
The education version has the same as the same Version of Maya Complete, not Unlimited. As stated above Maya Education version is for personal use only and you break the EULA if any data created in Maya Education Version is found to be used in Commercial Presentions. This is due to the cost difference of the licence and the licence agreement (EULA) between it and the full versions. Also be aware you will need to be in full time education with a Valid Student ID to qualify for the Education version.

Good Luck.

how do they find out if you're using the student versions for commercial use?

and whats so bad about ebay (i've never used it before...only heard of it on movies)

# 19 01-07-2008 , 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
how do they find out if you're using the student versions for commercial use?

and whats so bad about ebay (i've never used it before...only heard of it on movies)

I would suspect the file formats used for student and commercial versions are slightly different. Different header, syntax, something like that. It won't be obvious though.

And as for ebay, if you are reffering to why Autodesk doesn't like people selling copies of their software on it is becuase it violates EULA (I think). Autodesk recently (few months ago I think) tried to sue some guy for selling AutoCAD on ebay.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 20 02-07-2008 , 12:54 AM
Licences are sold to a customer directly therefore it is illegal to sell it on and as said breaches the EULA and agreement (Terms and Condtions) when it was purchased. You know the thing that you have to accept before downloading stuff from the sites that no one ever reads...

When Uni buys the software they buy it for the Uni and not who is going to use it and when its installed the loop whole is it get installed for "Any Authorised User" and "Bigtime 3D Teaching School" as the Organisation. This means the Uni buys 30 cpoies of Student Edition (to save cash) and they can install it on to 30 random machines. The minute they breach the 30 limit they will owe Autodesk money or will be in breach of th T's&C's they agreed to at purchase.

When a person buys the software, part of the agreement on purchase is that the software is not sold on. As the licence only covers the pruchaser and no one else.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 21 02-07-2008 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
oh right,

and ebay is an auction site right?

it all makes sense

wonder if you get it any cheaper if you become a reseller and only buy one unlimited :p

# 22 02-07-2008 , 01:28 AM
The licences are locked to the machine that your using, (surely a maya user would know this, ethernet address.... e-mail????) at uni (or studios) the licence is server based so if you have 30 licences, you can install maya on all machines on the network but only 30 users can use it at any one time.

# 23 02-07-2008 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
oh ya, we know, but the question is how do you know if someone's work was done by student edition or complete or unlimited? theres no water mark on them like there is for PLE

# 24 02-07-2008 , 01:54 AM
I dont think you would tbh, the thing would be if your advertising your work and the software you use and asking for money then thats where you would get cought out.

# 25 02-07-2008 , 08:46 AM
As far as I am aware the mb/ma files will have something written to them in the header of the file so Autodesk Can ID the version u are using.

Create an ma file and open it in notepad and you will see what i mean

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 26 03-07-2008 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
will need two versions to compare though :p

# 27 03-07-2008 , 10:27 PM
A man with a plan who knows someone who knows where there is one and the other to compare

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 28 04-07-2008 , 05:54 AM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
A man with a plan who knows someone who knows where there is one and the other to compare

user added image

As for the only differences between the version being the header, wouldn't that sort of be easy to bypass?

I was thinking of some ultra obscure difference in the actual structure of the file, something subtle, like a difference in syntax or something that outputs the same result in Maya, but if Autodesk were to drop by and check your lisence, would be able to say, "You bought a copy you say? Why do the files show that its not a commercial version then?"

*handcuffs* user added image

# 29 04-07-2008 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
i guess it still boils down to someone from autodesk having to check your working ma and mb files...

that involves sending agents out to do their checking, but that would take effort and lots of money... probably more than the criminals are worth...

i would have thought maybe there is a slight difference in the output picture files

you can encode secret messages into them you know...? and the best part is, is that people can't tell the difference between a non encoded picture and an encoded picture...

# 30 04-07-2008 , 06:08 AM
Speaking of Autodesk EULA enforcement, I bet Autodesk uses interns to do their checking for them... pose as internets for like studios, then at night, open up notepad and go through the files...

As for being able to tell the difference, I would set up a scene in PLE and Complete, making sure that the geometry and properties and all that is exactly the same, and then run a MD5 or a SHA512 on the file. Any differences would then become know, however slight. I would then compare the two files in one of those text file comparers to find out what is exactly different.