Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 136 06-05-2008 , 02:02 PM
Acid44
looks great man the only thing i can say is that the eyes look too dimuser added image

# 137 06-05-2008 , 02:07 PM
hey thanks - user added image

yeah, you're right djblazer - the bump has a blur on the filter which i might get rid of, though the whole map needs some work.

the eye textures are really bad at the moment too - just quick photoshop. user added image

and his head has some funny bumps and crappy ears that i need to sort out in zbrush. i'm sad i have to go back to work tomorrow. user added image

Last edited by arran; 07-05-2008 at 11:53 PM.
# 138 07-05-2008 , 03:38 AM
Hey Arran

Did you manage to get the Disp map in the SSS shader group?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 139 07-05-2008 , 03:56 AM
yeah - thanks mate - i attached it to the displacement material under the shading group. not sure what i was doing wrong - i think i just forgot to add the mel equation to the color gain - i ended up getting rid of the blinn on my previous displacement shader and then attaching it to the mix20 which seems to work.

# 140 13-05-2008 , 02:45 AM
more work done on the hand.

i've been having a problem in projection master. i drop the model, do some work with the clone brush and press g to pick up the model. however, when i try to rotate the model, instead it just places a ton of small copies of the model as if i was drag placing them... not helpful. the edit button isn't pressed and when i try to press it or hit t, nothing happens. the model has uvs that were done in maya.

any ideas? user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 141 13-05-2008 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Thats because your in draw mode, if you clone it, that means you draw a new one, every time you click, if you want to have it in your scene, like in the 3d space, then go to Subtool, and append your hand. first copy it in you main tools.

Then append your copied hand in the subtool.

Now you have two hands in the scene, and you can switch off every subtool layer.

# 142 13-05-2008 , 04:17 PM
thanks aikoworld - not sure i get you. the hand was already a sub tool of my main character. i wasn't cloning it - just using the clone tool in projection master.

i think it's cos i had dots on as my stroke - when i switched it to free hand before using PM, it worked. aurick on zbrush central suggested i change it.

cheers. user added image

# 143 13-05-2008 , 04:31 PM
Hey, looking cool.

Looks like you are just leaving edit mode before or after projection master, so you are just scattering new models about on the canvas.

Leave edit mode and create a new doc and draw a fresh model (the main tool with all the subtools in) and try not to leave edit mode when going into or leaving Projection master.

Hope this solves the prob

Cheers

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 144 13-05-2008 , 04:47 PM
hey - thanks mate. yeah - i'm frequently having problems with edit mode - just not being able to turn it on and so having to draw my model in again. when i would pick up the model after PM it just wouldn't go back to edit mode though that seems to be cos i had dots on.

# 145 13-05-2008 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
hm weird, well at least you know its the dot brush that is doing it, pretty weird thou, would be cool if you submit a ticket, so they can have a look at it.

# 146 13-05-2008 , 04:53 PM
how do i do that? and what's a ticket? user added image

# 147 13-05-2008 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
i think its support@pixologic.com

subject short problem case.

And then just tell them what your problem is.

a ticket is just a problem you send them, and in pixologic`s case you cat a case number. at erain you get a ticket number, just different words for the same thing.

# 148 13-05-2008 , 05:04 PM
got you. thanks.

# 149 19-05-2008 , 01:33 AM
decided to take a bit of a break from this - here's a render as he is at the moment. decided to lower his arms as i felt like a few people were recommending the lower position - not sure why i had them like that anyway.

his clothes textures are still crap and there's some stuff coming through on his chest - but i need to do something else. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 150 19-05-2008 , 01:41 AM
here are a couple of new heads the i've been working on - both done from the same base mesh tho the top one hasn't been shaped yet cos i can't decide what i want him to look like.

Attached Thumbnails