Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-12-2002 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber

How do u secure ur 3D work online?

Hi,

I have a HUGE dillema...I have to hand in my 3D project to my instructor who wants to have everyone view it online...

However, I have spend months on it...and I don't find it fair that students and organizations be able to download it for free and claim it as their own...

1) What is the best way to display it online for people to look at months of hard work and not have sleazy people download it and claim it as their own nor use it for their own projects?

I have heard about streaming it as a quicktime movie...however, if the person knows what they are doing....they can still download it. I don't want that to happen.

2) And one of the formats, my instructor wants is to convert the final into an object format. Does that mean people can download the actual 3D model as well by doing that?

3) Originally, my instructor have this idea to combine my project and another student's project and sell them for commercial use. The profits and credits will go to him of course while the students only get college credits (skanky guy).

What is the best way to permanently put (corrupt) a tatoo or tatoos on the model with my name on it and not have him edit it out?

4) Does anyone know much about ViewPoint? I have used it once...it is like QTVR or VRML, but the file is size is alot smaller than QTVR or VRML. You can rotate it....I don't mind displaying my project like that. I just don't want people to download it.

Hope you guys understand what I am trying to say...

Please let me know of any solutions...Thanks.

# 2 30-12-2002 , 12:58 AM
You could use the shockwave exporter plugin, but you'd need Macromedia Director in order to publish it for web use.

# 3 30-12-2002 , 01:48 AM
Well, first off, if your teacher is trying to make a profit from your work without your permission, or approval, that is then considered illegal under he "Intellectual Copyright Act". USA

Your work is protected by law, regardless of medium.

If your work must be handed in as still, or animated imagery, then you can simply add a watermark to it in Photoshop or after effects as another layer.

If your work is to be turned in as a Maya scene file, then it is still covered under the law.

A cheap (and less secure) alternative would be to export your scene as a Maya .ma file, and edit it to be a .mel script that can be viewed only, and NOT edited.

This can be done by disabling Maya's transform toolset, or better yet, disabling the selection abilities altogether.

Do a search in the Docs for the -sl flag, or selection, or selection list.

Good luck!

PS, you could also add a text watermark to the scene file with a text locator that would be visible in every render, but NOT visible in the viewports.

Just a few ideas....

Also, have a look at this melscript, it MIGHT help, although, I'm not sure on how to use it.
I found it on Highend:

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 30-12-2002 , 01:58 AM
Subscriber
I have already argued the copyright issues...with a professor and she said since this is an Independant Study course where I get the credit and grade...the copyright will be the University's...and they can do as they will... user added image

# 5 30-12-2002 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
wow, thanks izzy!! those are some nice tips!!

-Emo

# 6 30-12-2002 , 02:23 AM
What university do you go to? Unless you signed something already saying that the university has all rights over all of your projects, then im 99% positive they cant do that. If you havent already, try talking to someone with a higher authority than your instructor.

if you have adobe premiere, just import your completed project into there and then make a new title with your name on it and set the opasity of that to something around 50%

:banana:

# 7 30-12-2002 , 02:57 AM
Anytime you publish any work -- online, print, video, dvd, etc. -- there is always the chance that someone can copy it and steal it. That is simply the way things are. Watermarking your renders is a good way to deter potential pirates, but, realistically, if people want to steal it, they'll find a way. If you don't want it stolen, don't publish it.

Copyright policies are really sticky and are different depending on the school you are attending. As suggested by dbirider, I would highly recommend talking to a legal counsel at your school to get the correct information. Your instructor may believe one things, but the reality of the situation could be very different.

It is my understanding that the university, faculty, and department can do what they want with your work, but they cannot claim credit for it. Also, they cannot sell it without a) your permission and b) sharing the profits with you. However, I could be wrong on this. Again, check with legal counsel to be sure.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 30-12-2002 , 03:03 AM
well, if they make money, and wont give it to you, sue them user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 9 30-12-2002 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
well, if they make money, and wont give it to you, sue them user added image

good idea only if they used the exact copy of your work...

now if they edited it and change some things around.. I dont know if you can becuse it's not really yours anymore

-Emo

# 10 30-12-2002 , 06:31 AM
have your name burnt into the animation.

# 11 30-12-2002 , 07:02 PM
make it an animated gif file hehe

# 12 31-12-2002 , 03:11 AM
When i did my course in MultiMedia (finished this year) we had to sign a thing at the begining of the year stating that we gave permission for QANTM (the company we did the course through) to use any of our works for advertising/educational purposes.

I'm pretty sure if you haven't signed something similar then the uni can't do squat with your work as it would go against Intelectual Copyright. Check up on copyright law for the country/state you reside/study and find out.

You may want to even go to where people are studying law and ask them, they should have a good understanding of it all.

# 13 31-12-2002 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. You guys are the best! user added image

# 14 31-12-2002 , 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Emo
good idea only if they used the exact copy of your work...

now if they edited it and change some things around.. I dont know if you can becuse it's not really yours anymore

-Emo

Well in theory it's still yours, even if they just made there own version of it or stole elements from it, with out any given permission, you own the work.

If there is reason to suspect they are making money from your work/idea, you would legally have a case.

Put a watermark over image/movies, and like RAGE said, make the file only be viewed, and not edited.
user added image

# 15 31-12-2002 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
Well in theory it's still yours, even if they just made there own version of it or stole elements from it, with out any given permission, you own the work.

If there is reason to suspect they are making money from your work/idea, you would legally have a case.

A good example of that is when MAC came out with the idea of buttons instead of Commands..and then Microsfot came along and stole it, put it into windows... Mac sued them but lost so do you see how they can get away with your work?

-Emo