Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-05-2003 , 07:18 AM

Rendering Crashes (Maya Newbie)

Hey all, I looked through the forums and didn't see this problem answered... don't yell at me if it has been.. ^^

Anyways, I have Maya 4.5 Unlimited at work, none of my coworkers have ever touched it (we mostly use 3d studio) but I've had a client approach me who wants some work done in Maya so I figured I'd take a shot.

The program seems to run perfectly, but it crashes EVERY time I try to render. Since I've never used it I have no idea what's causing it... It doesn't seem to matter what's in the scene.. from something complex to absolutely nothing. The rendering box pops up for a couple seconds, stays white, and then the win XP "we've encountered a problem blah blah" box appears and Maya shuts down.

Any ideas? The computer is 3.0 ghz, 1024 mb ddr ram, and ATI 9700 pro video card, running win XP, if that helps... Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

- Riko

# 2 03-05-2003 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
I dont know what might be causing that (because it's strange to do that for no apparent reason) , but have you tried MentalRay? You can download it fom A|W for Maya 4.5

-Emo

# 3 03-05-2003 , 06:50 PM
Is Mental Ray just a standalone renderer? Rather than using the one incorporated in Maya?

- Riko

# 4 03-05-2003 , 07:01 PM
Riko, how much have you guys updated XP?
I remember there were some issues with one of the updates, although they must have fixed since from the last time I updated it works ok.

As a personal note, I believe if you are working with Maya 4.5 Unlimited, you must have surely bought it. As such you´re entitled to support from AliasWavefront.