Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-01-2005 , 11:53 AM

Align vertices on one point

On the apache tutorial, the vertices or edges get selected, and then he presses the V key and middle mouse key on where they should align.. only in Maya 6 this does not seem to work, does anybody know how i can align them in v6 user added image

# 2 17-01-2005 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
It is v in 6.0. Holding doen v when a verticle is selected then moving it with the move tool will snap the vert to the position along any axis you wish to the same position as the vert which you move the arrows to.

# 3 17-01-2005 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
in your move tool option, make sure to have keep component spacing to "off"

# 4 17-01-2005 , 02:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
Also make sure you're move tool is set to World... sometimes doesn't like to snap with other settings, although that's usually with grid snap.

And, make sure you click and drag on the arrow of the move tool for the axis you are moving in and not the center handle.

# 5 17-01-2005 , 02:30 PM
hmm strange, i do click on the arrow to activate the axis. The component spacing was turned on, I have turned it off now but it still does not seem to work with me :o

# 6 17-01-2005 , 04:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
try using left click and drag on the arrow to the point you want to align with. The selected point should align to the point you dragged to without snapping to it.

# 7 18-01-2005 , 12:29 PM
:o I'm not really sure what you mean, I actually want it to snap to a point which is not selected, plz tell me if i am doing something..

1. Select vertices
2. Select the axis
3. Hold Down the "V" key
4. Middle Mouse click on a different vertice which is not selected.

:bored:

# 8 18-01-2005 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
dont select an axis.
simply mmd [middle mouse drag] to a vert that is un-selected.

# 9 18-01-2005 , 01:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you want to snap a point TO another point, then you're not aligning it in the classic sense of the word, which is to snap a point to be IN LINE with another point.

If that's the case, don't select the axis as Vlad points out, as that's used for aligning points. Just select the point you want to move and middle click and drag on the point you want to snap to. Middle clicking without some sort of movement probably won't do anything. Drag the mouse slightly to tell the point to move there.

# 10 18-01-2005 , 02:28 PM
user added image But in the apache tutorials every time the axis get's selected, if i would drag them they will snap togeter...

So let's say these are vertices..

Code:

And i select the bottom ones, how would i get them aligned under each other so they become like this.
Code:

# 11 18-01-2005 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
Assuming left and right are on the X (red handle) axis.

1) select the 2 points.
2) Make sure "Keep Spacing" is off and World is on in the Move Tool options.
3) Hold V key (make sure Caps is off).
4) Still holding V, left click on the red X axis handle of the move tool and drag the cursor to the top-most point that you want to align to.

# 12 18-01-2005 , 03:50 PM
user added image ah thanks that works, i was dragging the vertices to there now it works user added image