Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-06-2006 , 07:28 PM

Tree

Hello everyone
I want to model a tree in maya, but I don't really know how to start, here are some questions:

1. Should I get a plane or just model from fantasy?
2. Do I have to model every leaf?
3. What texture do I have to use?

Now, if you could help me with that I would be a really happy person user added image

Greetings Brecht

# 2 07-06-2006 , 07:29 PM
the lazy way is to use paint effects.

Otherwise your in for a long slog, but it depends on what you need it for

# 3 07-06-2006 , 07:33 PM
I want to make a game on my own (not just me of course, with a team) and I want it to have immense graphics so... Do I have to model every leave? I mean, that could take like a month since I'm still on school.

# 4 07-06-2006 , 08:35 PM
Not using paint effects (or even if you model the whole tree, just make one leaf than use a randomize MEL script to "mess" the leaves up a bit to giuve some difference) still modeling a tree from scratch then doind it multiple times will take a lot of time.

Have a looka ta paint effects, you can change the default values to suit and its a hell of a lot quicker (you can then convert it into polys for intergration into a game engine)

# 5 07-06-2006 , 08:47 PM
Hmm yes, then what I really need is a tutorial, which there are plenty of it when they're not free.
I need a free tutorial to make a tree... Could somebody help me with that?

Thanx

# 6 07-06-2006 , 08:54 PM
Dont think there is a tutorial on making a tree from scratch

I would go about making extruded tubes for the trunk, branches and twiggs then start from a cube to make the leaves then go from there.

But do you really need it more detailed than this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 08-06-2006 , 04:12 AM
I want something like this, but then a little bit more realistic
The leaves are like a bit weird and the bottom of the tree (I don't know what that is in English):
user added image

Here, this looks more like it, this is what I want:
user added image

Last edited by brecht; 08-06-2006 at 04:20 AM.
# 8 08-06-2006 , 08:33 AM
The first picture looks like Paint effects (but rendered better than my quick example)

THe second one might have been pre done in a program such as world builder or Vue as these are specific programms for creating realistic environments

# 9 08-06-2006 , 12:36 PM
All right, well that second picture just has more realism.

Your first picture contains smooth trunks that are reflective, and only leaves. You should use the vertices of the object to distort the trunk, add divots, add indentations, bark shapes, and adjust so there are growth lines and variability in the trunk. I would suggest just going out into the wilderness and stare (or take a picture to help with texturing, see below) at the tree trunk attributes, then apply them to your models.

Next you will want to make a grass plane, shrubs, small plants, and large plants. You want to vary the size and amount throughout the scene.

You will also need to make your own textures, do some UV mapping, and use PS, to create realistic textures (from your pictures if you can), and each tree "should" have a unique texture since they are all difference.

The real picture also has moss and vines on the trees, which I am not sure how you want to go ahead and make that. Some options would be just to paint green blotches on the texture in PS, but you wouldnt have any shadows casted by it once applied. Another would be to make an amorphous shaped green object will a small amount of green fur on it, then adjust the shape and amount around the tree bases and branches. As for the vines, just extrude and shrink a circle, adjust vertices, and intertwine them.

Another point is the yellow fog, might want to create that just before you render the scene, add a nice point light with a yellow hue, and you should be close to your example. Also add a depth of field to create the blurred background effect.

I hope that helps a little. I would say the biggest problem is that they look fake (reflective plastic like) and thin, but your picture shows very large trunked old trees. Just take some time to make each one individualy.

# 10 08-06-2006 , 12:53 PM
These might be a little help for ya a little too...

https://www.tinkering.net/vr/tree.pdf

https://www.tinkering.net/vr/leaf.pdf

https://www.tinkering.net/vr/cloning.pdf

Here is something called xfrog, looks like you can get a beta version for it and you can try it. Really looks like how Vanguard SOH did their foliage. (edit: none of the links really work, I guess its about 2 years old...hmmm sorry)
https://www.xfrogdownloads.com/greenw...ws/oldnews.htm

Looks like for all the good stuff you will have to buy something.

# 11 08-06-2006 , 03:15 PM
I don't know what I'm going to do yet, I'll think about it.
Anyhow, thank you for the replies and the tips.
Yet still, I have another question: can you use control vertex and hull with a cube as you can with a cylinder, because when I (maya version 7.0 Unlimited) do control vertex on a cube its only one side of it. Is there an option for this that I need to turn on/off so I can edit the whole cube at one time?

Greetings