Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-07-2007 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber

Eyes

Hello folks, working on a base mesh for a human ready for animation and I have to say I am having severe problems getting the eye right. More specifically the upper eyelid's overlap at the outer corner of the eye. Here's what I have:

Attached Thumbnails

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 2 08-07-2007 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
What I want is something more along the lines of the image provided here.
My question is: Would you model this kind of detail in, or is it a better job for sculpting in ZBrush/Mudbox and then use displacement? If so would it be good for the topology and animation aspect. Would it be the smart thing to do?

How would you attack the problem of a realistic eye?

The image here is by: Wang Xiaoyu.

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 08-07-2007 at 03:46 PM.
# 3 08-07-2007 , 08:29 PM
in my opinion it is better to model it at least in a basic form in case you have closeUps or something like that. be aware that zBrush doesn´t create geometry for you. a normal map fakes topology which is good for any detail. but see it more like a texture (which it is in reality) thus it doesn´t behave like a animated geometry. if you have in mind to use displacement you would have to model the outer eyeLid anyway in a basic form to get the right effect. but as soon as you need a working geometry don´t rely on a fake cause that will be noticed by the audience except for the head will never be so close to see it.

my advice with animation ready stuff is -> (concerning hyperrealism) work as much on the geometry and let zBrush be the cherry on the cake. you would need just some two or three extra edgeLoops around the eye to get a working corner of it, that´s all. you don´t have to overexhaust yourself with it. but there´s allways a very noticable difference between real geometry and the effect of normalMapping when it comes to animation.

cheer´s!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 09-07-2007 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Falott for taking the question serious and the time to answer. That's some very good advice right there and you've given me both understanding and a couple of ways to attack the problem.
I have zero rigging experience but I suppose a geometry solution would provide a blink opportunity in animation, and also help with rigging as you have something to bind to and paint weights on hehe.

I'll keep you posted on progress once I understand more about how subdiv's behave in tight areas with complex overlaps. Oh, and lots of trial and error user added image

Thanks bud.

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 09-07-2007 at 06:17 PM.
# 5 09-07-2007 , 07:13 PM
no prob dude!

if you have any questions - don´t hesitate.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.